Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

briggs engine help

rick9044

i have a briggs engine 300421-0127-01-7001211 that needs overhauled or a short block for it or what kind of engine can i relace it with. the engine goes on an allis H B 212 tractor with hydro-stat drive i really like this tractor. it seems if the engine is bad , so is the whole tractor...i checked the local mower shops every one seems deaf, dumb and blind......WHAT CAN I DO????.....THANKS FOR YOUR TIME RICK

You have many options including rebuilding the engine or replacing it with another. I believe most of the cast iron Briggs singles up to 16 horse will bolt right in...

Welcome to the club Rick. You won't be sorry for getting a 16 Briggs to replace the 12. It'll make a rocket out of the HB212. I know, I got ne too. You almost won't believe the power increase. You can this for about the same money as rebuilding your 12. Before you decide however, take a look around at some of the other ideas and swaps going on. You'll get a good idea of what's good, not good, and out of the relm of reason.

Rick I see you are in Indiana. I have 2 Simp 6216's that have the 16 hp motor you are looking for. The tractors are in Oxford Ohio. I need to get rid of them as I have moved. If you can take both tractors I will give them to you. One has wheel weights and a 42 in deck. The other has a dozer blade. Both are in need of repair but nothing major. Let me know and welcome to the club.

Wow--Scotmo--that's a very generous offer--got any friends in NYS? LOL! Just kidding. I think you just made somebody's day, however.

Scot, I thought that the 6216`s were vertical shaft engines. He needs a horizontial shaft engine for a HB 212.

Rick The 16hp engine in the 6216 (small frame tractor) is a vertical shaft (|) engine. The engine in the HB-212 (large frame tractor) is a horizontal shaft (-) engine. The engine in the 6216 will not work in the HB-212

What's up with the engine? Is it knocking? Smoking? Oil gushing out? Or is it just not running correctly? Those Cast Iron B&S engines are pretty tough and fairly easy to re-build. Give us more info maybe we could help...

DARN,,, I was all excited till I read UDC's post about it being vertical shafted. :I Good luck looking, and welcome to the party RICK,,, :D 8D

Does anyone know if the engine out of a 6216 would bolt up in my B-208? I may be looking for an engine.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by Wishin2BMowin
What's up with the engine? Is it knocking? Smoking? Oil gushing out? Or is it just not running correctly? Those Cast Iron B&S engines are pretty tough and fairly easy to re-build. Give us more info maybe we could help...
hello wishin....thanks for the reply....naw the engine is not knocking ,,smokes a little and has very little compression...the thing is i drive a truck for a living and just dont have the time for rebuilding the engine and the knowledge...i spoke with a man at the local mower shop and i could tell they had no interest in rebuilding it for verious reasons....what if it needs bored...had no idea where to take it and etc..but he had a nice new deal on a new mower....if i go with a 16 horse, is possible to get one with a front shaft to run the snow blower...thanks for your time and get that mowing done with fun.........rick

Around here in northern Wisconsin most car engine shops will rebuild that Briggs for you. Typically a rebore, new piston, new rings, valve job, and crank reground, for a 12hp cast iron Briggs should run about $500. Less if you don't need any crankshaft work.