Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro lift snap ring question

mbrook

The snap ring (retaining ring) that holds the spring loaded valve of the lift does not always stay in position. After further inspection I noticed the grove for the ring is partially cracked off. This is in the cast portion of the valve body. Does anybody know if there is a way to repair or fix this problem?

Cast aluminum.......heliarc then machine to correct problem. Cast Iron, braze then file or use a map gas and nickle or acetelyene and nickle then machine to correct. These are weak fixes that will need periodic inspection. Tig will allow you to rest a little easier if you have access to a tig welder. Ultimately, rebuilding or replacing the affected piece to it's original state would be best. JB weld isnt an option IMO. We're talking high pressure hydraulics. Short cut's are just that when you play with fluids. Not to mention the inherent vibrations that most tractors have to endure. Give it a good fix once or three or four mediocher fixes over time. I'm sure i'll be corrected and it will be a welcomed suggestion that will ultimately give you the best result! (Gunning for monkey mechanic of the year here guys, gimme your feedback!!!)

I have one of those valve bodies that has the same type of problem. What I thought of was to have the outer part machined out and have an insert made up to go into the bored out area. That would give you a renewed groove for the snap ring to seat into. You'd have to be careful or better yet have a machinist do it for you. The insert should be a press fit and staked or brazed in place. I don't think a set screw would hold but maybe it would if it was a tight press fit or slight interference fit. If you heated the body and chilled the insert and still had to press it in it might hold, especially if also staked. Again, a trained machinist could best answer what the best method for doing it would be. As I recall, that snap ring only holds the packing or O ring in place but it's been a while since I looked at it...

Here is an pic showing the retaining ring that I'm having problems with. It is not listed with a part number, but the arrow shows its location. I believe Daddycat is right about the fact that it only hold the packing in. It doesn't appear to ever be under high pressure, just some spring pressure when the lift is put into the float position. I'm thinking of trying some JB Weld. At this point about 65% of the grove is still there, the ring doesn't pop out, but does bend some.

In this post it has the parts you might need. But might cost a lot for the control valve. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40986