Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Deck (added pics)FINISHED!!!!!!!!!

hdrhdr

I started restoring a 42" deck for my Landlord.

All sandblasted and cleaned.

Primed.

New paint.

My makeshift paint booth.

The "Paint booth" made a big difference on the amount of over spray when painting all the small stuff that would fit in it. The orange dust you see in the last picture is from painting the deck and I just vacumed it up with the shop vac. I hope to pick up new spindle bearing this week and i'll start the assembly this weekend. I'll send pics when I get it done. Next is the mid mount grader blade (I have it primed and am currently making new hitch) and going to redue the front blade next. Randy UPDATE: 4-13-05 I almost have the deck finished. I went with a bed liner product. I have to see how it works during the summer. I am making a couple spacers and have to install the 2 rollers and I think I'll be ready to put it on the tractor. The deck has 6 new spindle bearings, 2 new roller bars, 3 Gator blades, new belt, new spacers, nuts & bolts and of course new paint and undercoating.

I am just about finished with the new mount for the mid-mount grader blade. Its painted and so is the front blade. I am currently figuring out how to build the mid mount hitch in such a way so I can have the front blade on at the same time. More pictures coming soon. Randy UPDATE 04-18-05 I have it finished and mounted on the Landlord. OLD ONE

NEW ONE!!!!

She really cuts!!

I will start a new post on the graders blades. Randy

One question, what happened? You were supposed to paint it AC yellow and then ship it to me in Michigan. Other than that one little problem it looks great. Now that I think if it you were just using the orange paint as a base coat, weren't ya.:p -Paul

I think it will be perfect to use.It's always nicer to use something thats new or looks new.Rather than an old rusted up looking thing.If it gets to the point it needs redone ,do it again.

Brent, I took it to Witlocks down in Connersville. They did the big stuff that I could not fit in my small cabinet blaster. Randy

Ok Ok I've seen enough already, you're not really gonna use that are you?? [:0];)That belongs in a museam on display!:D So what are you using for paint (color+brand)??

WOW - what a restoration. You put mine to shame. Like other's said, that's too nice to put to work.

Thanks everyone. I figure that if I went out and bought a brand new tractor, It would be all shinney and clean and would have bought it to mow with. So with that in mind, I can't wait to get it finished and get green (grass) all over it. I ended up using Duplicolor brand spray on bed liner and that is the same brand that Kserv used on the landlord I bought from him. Duplicolor DE1607. It is Chevy engine orange/red. I will get more pictures after I have it mounted on the LL. Then i'll mow with it, remove it and mount my grader and dozer blades. I can't wait to wear off all that new paint with driveway work. Randy

Randy, Your approach sounds like mine. Last summer I took a 48 inch deck that I got from johnmonkey, and rebuilt it with all new bearings. It got about six coats of paint after lots of sanding to remove the rust. Even though it looked great when finished, it ended up under a tractor and has been cutting my lawn ever since. Already used it for two cuttings this summer. I have a couple more that need rebuilding. Unfortunately none of mine have the quality of metal that yours had. Gonna have to do some welding to re-build a couple of the other decks. Great looking job, for what looks like a great worker.

That is some nice work. Luckily enough, my landlord deck is solid while the b-110's is not. How did the bedliner hold up?

Randall, I am really inspired by the beautiful work you did on your deck. If you have a chance, can you make a list of the paint products and the undercoating you used and where you got them? Also what you used for a rust converter. I've been using spray cans I get from Autozone, but I am looking to start using a gun and I like your paint box idea. Also any suggested sanding/prep tools you used. FANTASTIC job! mg.

quote:
Originally posted by michaelg221
Randall, If you have a chance, can you make a list of the paint products and the undercoating you used and where you got them? Also what you used for a rust converter. I've been using spray cans I get from Autozone, but I am looking to start using a gun and I like your paint box idea. Also any suggested sanding/prep tools you used. FANTASTIC job! mg.
I ended up using Duplicolor brand spray on bed liner and that is the same brand that Kserv used on the landlord I bought from him. Duplicolor DE1607. It is Chevy engine orange/red. I bought my paint at AutoZone (SPRAY CANS). I sandblasted everything. No rust converter on the deck. I did get a rust converter from Autozone for the grader blades, but I can't remember the name. Something like KLEAN STRIP. It came in a little white and black bottle and you painted it on with a brush. It turns the rust black and was sandable. As far as sand/prep goes just sandpaper, wirebrush and elbow grease.