Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

front ball hitch?

Tom Deutsch

Anybody know where I can find a diagram for mounting a ball hitch to the front of my 917 (same as 7100 series)? I want to be able to pull a boat and a trailer in and out of my barn using my garden tractor. I know I've seen this, so I know it can be done. When I did a search, it kept choking. Anyone?

Pins C go into same mount holes as mower deck or blower hitch. Square notches in uprights go over the axel same as a blower hitch

Thanks, Maynard! Are there any disadvantages to the front hitch, from anyone's experience? I know, I'll have to back up anywhere I want to go, but I mostly need this to maneuver a trailer, camper and boat back a driveway and into a fairly narrow barn opening, then some quick turns into stalls in the barn. So, I'm guessing a front mount might give me more maneuverability. Will I need a counterweight on the back? Will I be putting too much strain on the front axle or the steering pieces with all the turning under slow load? Any opinions, theories or experience would be appreciated!

My experience, is pulling 20ft+ campers from the rear hitch is that you lose most steering without a counter weight, the snowblower works good as one. I would not try that heavy of tongue weight however with a hitch up front.

Tom, I used to move my 17.5' deep-V aluminum fishing boat, 60HP Evinrude and trailer with mine, hooked to front or rear. I now also move my 14' dual-axle utility trailer all the time with mine -- did it twice Sunday in fact. As long as you're putting less that 400 lbs or so of tongue weight on it, it'll work well. There's three reasons why I like to use it mounted on the front: 1. You can see where both you and the trailer are going at one time -- so you don't have to continually look back and forth to watch both the trailer and tractor when manuevering in tight spots. 2. I'm not that good at backing trailers, and I've found that I'm much more precise with it on the front. 3. It's easier to add weight to the back of the tractor for a counterweight than it is to the front of the tractor.

Tom, You may have to make the hitch longer than is shown in the picture posted by UCD. This hitch is for the older type tractors that had the axle flush or slightly in front of the grille. For a 917 you will need a longer hitch since the grille sits several inches in front of the axle.

I think the front hitch would be best. If you are worried about the amount of tounge wieght put on the front of the tractor you might want to check out this link. Randy http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46147

Here is a front ball hitch that work fine on the later models with the extended hood. [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=Hayseed&file=16218"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url]

• 3 weeks later...
UCD, will those hitches fit my 3210V? I just purchased an 18' car trailer & really need something for the tractor. I need to park the trailer under my deck & I only have about 6" on either side to play with. Plus, I don't really want to chew up the lawn. Also, do you know of anyone who makes these? I think I've seen someone selling them on ebay periodically, but nothing for the past couple months. Thanks, Bob