Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 head gasket

lpcb10

Pulled head and found a section of head gasket missing. While I have the head off any words of wisdom before I go back together? I am really fortunate to have such an easy fix to zero compression.:)

Make sure there is no oil or water in the bolt holes, like you would a car--the liquid can get hot, pressurize, and blow the thing again. Clean the carbon from the inside of the head. Try to chase the threads with a tap. And finally, make sure it's torqued to spec., or at least tighten the bolts as evenly as possible.

I have a 1970 3212H and my head gasket was leaking. Found part of the head was melted were the gasket seals. Tried to use JB Weld to fix the head but it melted out again. Ended up having to buy a used head from one of the guys on this site. The used head and another gasket and it works fine. Don't over torque the head but do check the torque again after you run it for a bit. Also if there's any carbon built up on the piston/valves clean it up before installing the head. I also used a flat file to check the block surface where the gasket seals to make sure it was flat. If anyone over torqued the head, sometimes the threaded holes in the block will stick up some. A flat file will clean these up and your set to go... Best of luck...