Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

So, is it smaller or bigger?

Kent

Thought I'd take advantage of a sunny, dry afternoon and get a few pictures for comparison -- but my batteries died before I got very many.

The long wheelbase AC's (112, 210, 212) or Simp 3012V, 3112V, 3210V, 3212V/H are actually 3/8" longer, if you don't consider the 3-pt hitch arms. The AC/Simps have a longer wheelbase, 48" vs 45-5/8", mostly due to the larger front tires (6:00 X 12) on the Kubota. The Kubota is 1/2" taller at the hood, and outweighs the Simp/AC by over 150 lbs... 860 lbs without loader (or 3-pt hitch) vs 745 with a mower deck. The Kubota, with rear wheels adjusted out as far as they'll go, gives a 41" tread width to the outside of the 7:00 X 16 tires, just slightly wider than than the AC/Simps. As I said, this is a little Kubota... 577cc, 12.5 HP at 2700 RPM, with convection (i.e. no water pump) cooling.

I like the Kubota. Didn't know they made them that small with a diesel and 4 wheel drive. Hope it works out for you. Is a mower deck available for it?

This was the original 4WD one, imported from 1973-1977, that initially built Kubota's reputation... Yes, you could get 48" decks for them. I'll never use it for mowing, though, unless it's with a little 40" or 42" "Bush Hog". I've found one brand of rough-cut mowers that you can reverse the blades on, so it would work with this weird PTO that turns backwards -- if I can find an over-running clutch that also works backwards... The two things it really offers me over my other tractors is 4WD and diff-lock... though it also has better brakes (one for each rear wheel). That said, it's a pain in the butt to get started. It takes 45 to 60 seconds of glow plug to ever get it to fire -- and hope you don't flood it with the mechanical injectors before the glow plugs warm up...

Neat little tractor, that should get some work done. I didn't realize they came quite that small either. :D What I also see there is a new source to watch for, for homemade loader parts. [:0][:0]

I guess that goes a long way in solving your log skidding worries... Just hook up the chain and lift with the 3-pt hitch, the front end of the log is up so it won't dig into the ground and you have added weight for traction....

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
I guess that goes a long way in solving your log skidding worries... Just hook up the chain and lift with the 3-pt hitch, the front end of the log is up so it won't dig into the ground and you have added weight for traction....
Yep, I bought it just for clearing that lot and prepping it. You can certainly bet I didn't buy it to mow my lawn with! :D A new diesel Legacy XL with loader would've been nice, but I can't afford tractor payments while I'm trying to make all this happen...

Kent, how hard is it to pull the loader off? Looks in great shape. I'd replace those bat. cables w/ the cheap ends on them. You'll loose a lot of amps in the cheap ends like that. Other than that it appears to be in great shape. Watch out for cracks in the front rims around the lug holes if you work the loader hard. Let me know when you get ready for that power-steering.lol

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Kent, how hard is it to pull the loader off? Looks in great shape. I'd replace those bat. cables w/ the cheap ends on them. You'll loose a lot of amps in the cheap ends like that. Other than that it appears to be in great shape. Watch out for cracks in the front rims around the lug holes if you work the loader hard. Let me know when you get ready for that power-steering.lol
I'm still checking it out to see exactly what kind of shape it's in -- it has quite a few hours on it, I'd guess (no hour meter or any other gauge, for that matter). It's not as clean as the pictures make it look -- it's been repainted poorly, at least once, quite a while back. But it has been kept in the dry and used primarily for snow removal, so it's not rusty at all. The guy I bought it from kept it in a heated garage -- so I guess it started fairly easily for him. Those battery cables were on the "list" -- while I'm waiting on the service manual to go through all the checks and service on it... I have a pair of wheel weights off a Farmall Cub that I think will fit, plus I want to get a small carry-all box to load up as a ballast box for it. Even though the rear tires are loaded, it's still WAY too light in the back for using the loader for anything but snow. It'd be a pain to remove the loader, largely because it isn't self contained. The pump mounts on the engine, and the low pressure line runs underneath the tractor. I can't remember how the high pressure line is routed... I plan on leaving it on for front weight, especially since the two rear implements I'd be using are a yard box and maybe a small Bush Hog...

Thats the CUTEST little loader ive ever seen...(can i say that or will you guys call me 'soft' or other things?) Looks like a lot of fun. Is that diesel motor made by Kubota also?

quote:
Originally posted by AC808
Thats the CUTEST little loader ive ever seen...(can i say that or will you guys call me 'soft' or other things?) Looks like a lot of fun. Is that diesel motor made by Kubota also?
Yes, it's a little Kubota 2-cylinder... and the battery looks bigger than the motor. While we're on the subject of "cute" -- I don't think these qualify officially as "running boards"... they may be a little over a foot long! [img]http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/98/18/a6_1.JPG[/img] http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=82248&item=4365940762&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Jay, Kubota is very strong in the small HP Diesel engine market. It's hard to say if they made the tractor to support/justify the small two cyl engine or vise versa.

Well if anything, I know it's gonna receive lots of care and touchup now. Besides, if it don't work out, I see a BIG-12 Diesel in the works.lol

One of my buddies has a Kubota that must be the next biggest model to the one you have. It has a 3 cylinder diesel. I've used it a couple of times and it worked pretty well. The four wheel drive is nice to have and the loader does the job. It is a little hard to get use to the way it starts but when it does it's amazing how long it will run on very little fuel. Best of luck with yours and I hope it does the job for you...

Kent, been giveing the bush-hog some thought. If you were to find a smaller mower with the tire like some used as a slip clutch, then you could move the tire to the other side of the friction disc and you'd get correct rotation from your tractor with only some shaft work. But you'd have to find a 4' mower with that style clutch. That might be easier to do than finding a reverse rotation mower though.

Thanks Dave, for thinking about it. I'm checking a few alternatives. At least the "Big D" brand has both LH and RH blades for their bush-hogs, that would allow me to run theirs with the blades spinning backwards. I haven't heard back from Bush Hog or Woods -- at least yet. I'm also checking to see what an aftermarket, single reduction gearbox would cost. Hub City used to market a KU-22 gearbox that converted the spline and the rotation, but they dropped it from their catalogs. They can still provide it, special order. If I can reverse the rotation at the PTO shaft, I can use an over-running clutch. I have a distributor getting me a price quote for it. Otherwise, they do make a spline adaptor that converts this 31/32" (actually metric) 10-spline PTO to the standard 1-3/8" 6-spline, though it doesn't fix the rotation or over-running clutch issue. All their over-running clutches are for clockwise rotation... We'll see... meanwhile, I won't need a bush-hog until at least next spring...

Looks good Kent. Are the support arms welded onto the uprights? I don't see any bolting there. Must come off as one piece in that section. Not like the kwik way loader. The cylinders look a bit larger than those found on the Simplicity and Sears loaders too. Any idea what weight you can lift and carry safely?

The support braces are welded onto the uprights, and the right one has a stress crack in the weld -- the bolt holding it to the front of the loader frame was loose, and... :( I tightened the bolt, and checked the other mounting bolts, but need to get it rewelded. It's rated at 500 lbs... and it has both down-pressure and a level-bucket indicator. I haven't had a chance to play with it to see if it has a "bucket float" position but I don't think so, since the owner's manual makes no reference to it...

Hey Kent, if you need another Kubota almost just like your 6000 I have one I would like to let go! It is not 4WD but it does have a 48" woods belly mower. Scott

• 8 months later...
That is a very cute Kubota.It is orange.I remember as a kid going to our local fair and seeing smaller kubotas with loaders.I have always liked the looks of them.

Hi Nice looking tractors there! I really like that Kbouta compact and loader! That will definately come in handy for moving heavy wet snow. Do you think you will put a cab on it? Take Care Jason B