Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

key switch question

Simplicity314

Hello--I'm in the process of going through a mid-60s broadmoor. It is a pull start, 7hp. The little tab for the condensor wire on the key switch broke off. Should I be able to get spark if the wire is disconnected and not touching ground, or is it more complicated than that? Like I said, it is a pull start so the key is an on/off. I assume that when you turn the key off it grounds the condensor and the on position opens the circuit? Thanks in advance for help.

One clarification just on terminology -- when a circuit is open, that means the circuit is interrupted and no current (not even a ground) can flow through it. When it's closed, the circuit is completed, and current can flow. So, technically when you turn the key off on these oldies, you're closing this circuit to ground out the ignition... when the key switch is on, the circuit is actually open and the ignition is not grounded out.

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
I assume that when you turn the key off it grounds the condensor and the on position opens the circuit?
exactly! ;) Thanks for the replys