Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rebuild Motor Installed...Slight problem

Paul_B

I got my rebuilt 16HP briggs installed today. Finally got the tractor to start, but it won't shut off. I have a white wire that comes from the key switch. I have another wire that comes from inside the cover of the motor near the flywheel. Then the wire that comes from under the flywheel is not connected to anything, the motor starts and runs great. When I connect the white wire from the key switch to the wire that goes under the cover near the flywheel, the motor won't start. I also checked the white wire with a digital multimeter. With the key in the on or off position, there is no change in the resistance and voltage mesurements I took. Did my key switch die? Can someone explain how the keyswitch is supposed to work and how these wires should be connected?

I'd guess that either the switch is bad or the wire between the switch and the engine is bad. When I built my Big Ten, I pinched that wire, shorting it out and had a dickens of a time tracing down and finding it... BTW, a simple toggle switch will suffice -- it doesn't have to have a key... since all the keys are the same, they don't really add that much security, just a little safety factor with kids, etc.

First thing is to be sure that the white wire is connected to the proper terminal on the key switch and that it's got a good clean connection. Check continuity from the white wire on the key switch to ground. It should ground when the key is in the "Off" position and unground when the key is "On". There should never be any voltage on that wire.

Recent post about this very subject. If you can touch the white wire to the chasis and it causes the motor to die then you try connecting it to your key and you have no result then the ignition switch (interrupt) is faulty. Just take the multimeter to the back of the key switch and check for proper ground to the chasis with the switch in the off and on positions. If it acts correctly in both positions and doesnt shut the motor off with the white wire then chances are you have a faulty wire. As Daddycat mentioned, there should be no voltage to this wire. It's only there to interrupt the spark to the plug. UCD can explain it with pretty pictures if you ask him nicely. Gotta love his illustrations, they're the best. On a serious note......ask UCD though PM. He'll getcha fixed right up.

Watch and make sure it is EXACTLY the same or it will not work. MTD makes on that will plug right in BUT it will not work. My 2 cents worth,,,

I ohm'd out the wiring and switch. The switch is the culprit so I went ahead and ordered a new one.