Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adapting a newer lawn vac to an older machine?

Has anyone adapted or have suggestions how to adapt a newer Simplicity (engine driven) lawn vac to an older Simplicity? I picked up a sweet newer model Simplicity with a lawn vac. I'm getting rid of the newer machine and keeping the lawn vac.... Ideas? I am thinking of fabricating a mount which would adapt the engine driven model right to the older machine, but I am faced with the input hose needing to wind around from the right side to the left side... will I loose suction trying to go a longer distance? Where can I get this type of hose? Even to make a roving nossle.

Left to right change or vice versa should be as easy as removing the suction end and impellar from the engine. Moving the engine to the other side and replacing the impellar and suction housing on the side that the engine was originally mounted. Just reversing the positioning of the aparatus that does the work so that you can suck from the other side. Did this with my Green lawn sweep. Otherwise.....check with your local dealer to see if there's a switch kit. And they should also be able to provide the hose....at about 18 bucks a foot last time i checked into it.

Thanks! I will start doing the search for this. That vac worked great. So far I just racked into the chute, but the next step is to get it hooked up to a my main machine (a B112). The next big challenge will be to make a chute end for the older deck... which last I checked was NLA.
quote:
Originally posted by ZippoVarga
Left to right change or vice versa should be as easy as removing the suction end and impellar from the engine. Moving the engine to the other side and replacing the impellar and suction housing on the side that the engine was originally mounted. Just reversing the positioning of the aparatus that does the work so that you can suck from the other side. Did this with my Green lawn sweep. Otherwise.....check with your local dealer to see if there's a switch kit. And they should also be able to provide the hose....at about 18 bucks a foot last time i checked into it.

If you're going to have to make a mount for it, just mount it with the suction to the left side. If the discharge is straight up, you should have no problems there. If the discharge has a deflector you will need to change it so it aims toward the cart. Try a search for topics of the hose, I know there are several. One source is ihoz.com(I think that's right). I bought some of the 6" from them for discharge hose and also some 7" for my roving nozzle hose a couple years ago. I think it was the T-6 hose, they have several different types...

DaddyCat - Thanks It's a 1690226 and the chute points towards the cart... ideas? It came off a beautiful 6000 series 16hp twin briggs machine. I still have that machine, but I don't want to keep it. This 6000 machine is "brand new clean", though you look at the transmission and it's nothing like the older machines. Thus why I am looking to adapt this.

Here is a picture of the vac, now that I look at it... perhaps I can just reverse the machine and it looks like this can be turned... (stay tuned, I look at this more closely tonight.) [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/michaelg221/PICT0084_40.JPG[/img]

Mike you will have to get left hand mower deck chute for the deck. right and left one are different. I always thought you just reversed the motor and vac. housing and that is what makes it right or left hand discharge. good luck have fun.

Thanks. Yes, I see that the plastic chute adapter will not work... so that will be a challenge. Perhaps I'll find one or I just set this up with the roving nossle at first. I'm thinking of fabricating something out of sheet metal. From my first experiment with this device, it works great. I cleaned up my bushes in a short period getting the leaves away from the roots. I've got about 800-1200 feet of bushes to work on. So tools make life faster. I actually wish I had more time to do it by hand for the exercise, but I am trying to "make time"... Again, thanks...
quote:
Originally posted by KVANDY12
Mike you will have to get left hand mower deck chute for the deck. right and left one are different. I always thought you just reversed the motor and vac. housing and that is what makes it right or left hand discharge. good luck have fun.

Mike, From looking at your schematic and the actual picture it appears you should be able to remove the motor and blower assembly as a unit, turn the whole thing 180 degrees then take the outlet housing and rotate it 90 degrees to get it to point towards the cart. As for your chute that will mount to the discharge on the deck......The picture looks as though you could flip the suction chute and drill a couple mounting holes on what's been the bottom of the chute. But I may not be seeing the chute at it's best angle. I fabricated mine out of sheet metal on a hinge so that I could more easily clean out cloggs with out having to unbolt the chute.

Zippo, Thanks. So far I've found that this company: http://www.ducting.com/MaterialHandling.html 800-370-9152 Will sell T7-thermo plastic for 6"(in 12.5' or 25' lengths) for $6.48 and 8" for $8.35 in 5' increments. Great ideas. Thanks. I'll keep you up to date, I didn't get to play with this tonight. I had an unexpected (but previously expected) phone call... I got my first free tractor. Not a simplicity but a neat machine. I got a "Springfield" Tractor, not sure the model, but it looks like I can rob a broadmoor for parts. It has the thin wheels I want to add to my Landlord as duals for restoring with a sickle bar. Then I am going to take a thin set of AG wheels I scored in another deal to put back on this machine. It will make it look like a small farm tractor. It's really cool looking. I am going to get a license plate with my fiance's name and make it her tractor! As I read the manual I realize that it was converted from a Kohler to a briggs... Pictures tomorrow. I know it's not a simplicity. but it's neat. Again,..thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by ZippoVarga
Mike, From looking at your schematic and the actual picture it appears you should be able to remove the motor and blower assembly as a unit, turn the whole thing 180 degrees then take the outlet housing and rotate it 90 degrees to get it to point towards the cart. As for your chute that will mount to the discharge on the deck......The picture looks as though you could flip the suction chute and drill a couple mounting holes on what's been the bottom of the chute. But I may not be seeing the chute at it's best angle. I fabricated mine out of sheet metal on a hinge so that I could more easily clean out cloggs with out having to unbolt the chute.

Sounds great Mike, and i'm sure the future missus will love being out there with you enjoying your passion. I'll look for your picture post tomorrow.

Thanks. This is a picture out of the manual in the meantime. This was made out of "Springfield Ohio" by the "Quick Manufacturing Inc" company. I am going to have to find or fabricate a fender... one is missing (rusted off was the story).

So here is a picture of a Springfield... kinda cool eh? Figure I paint all the white parts really nice, put some mini AG tires on it and leave the rest looking old and this will look like an mini old farm tractor. (I'm going to use these thin wheels when I make a set of duals for a Landlord...)