Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Jovee

Unknown Tractor

Jovee
I need a little help out there on this one. I hope someone may be able to identify this thing. I also hope this first picture experiment works. I aquired this miniature last year mainly because Ive never seen a rider smaller than my Serf. I'm hoping to make it operational again and get it as close to original as possible but thats where the problem begins. Its been brush painted a horrifying red color over everything. There is a tag on the gearbox that says Huffman Mfg of OH. Web searches brought some info that Huffy didnt make them but Rugg did. No picture of a Rugg that I've seen looks like it. Someone says it could have been made for JC Penny or Western Auto or anyone. It has a F/N/R gearbox that chain drives the axle, solid wheels, and an 80000 series Briggs on it. The nutroaster is missing. Hopefully someone has seen or knows someone that has seen one of these. Its a heck of a conversation piece unti8l someones asks "Who made it?"

D-17_Dave
That's easy Joe. It's a Chevy S-10 The little bowtie in the grill was a dead giveaway. Looks maybe to be an 85/86 vertion with fuel inj. Base model, but very dependable, and you can still get parts for them. Hope this helps.

Simplicity314
I found this on this page: http://jnem3.home.att.net/ 259)We are trying to get a copy of a parts manual for a Huffy Model 4826-7010 8HP 32# lawnmower. The original manufacturer, Huffman Manufacturing Co. of Dayton, Ohio, does not appear to be in existence any longer. Contact Carol bcc@wittenetal.com And.. 305)I am looking to find the sun (outside) gear for the left wheel assemble of my gang mower. It is made by The Huffman Manufacturing Co. Dayton 1 Ohio model # 2328 6017. Contact Lucky bmoulton@recorder.ca There are a few more references on that page. Use "Find" under 'edit' and search the page. I'd email these people and ask them what they've found out. Then tell us! Hope this helps and good luck.

D-17_Dave
:o):o):o):D:D:D:D

Jovee
Thanks Jim. I will give anything a try. Apparently Huffman didnt make their items but a few contributors did (as long as it isnt MTD). I went linking around one day and found Rugg made similar ones for them but no pictures I saw were close especially with the solid wheels. And with the department and hardware stores all being on the bandwagon then anything is possible. Dave - Good eye on the S10. You're looking at its good side. Its an 85 and a base model. No p/s or p/b and a 4spd. 3 of the 4 cylinders still work. The best $50 can buy. The tractor is actually in better shape but doesnt have the highway accelleration I need. Needed a quick replacement for my 84 S10 when it blew the output shaft apart. The downside along with the 239k is the 200m bellhousing only fits the 1.9 powerless Isuzu engine the Chevy deemed necessary to install. Despite the decent body it isnt worth fixing. Nothing worth interchanging either. Glad they're a dime a dozen^

bigcountry
That mower almost looks like one of those Mustang mowers, but it's hard to tell. The Mustang mowers are painted like a little Cub Cadet.

rokon2813
I think you can rule out Mustang. Body lines don't look quite right to me, but I may be wrong.

wilm169
Will the engine and deck raise and lower at the same time?

Jovee
I will veto the Mustang too but thanks for trying. Ive been watching ebay and the local shops for a while now and nothing comes close. The grille has no design at all. Just flat sheetmetal with no holes. It also has a fixed deck. Their way or no way I guess - Joe

Jovee
Good news!^ Its amazing how fast things get accomplished when you make the right connections. The vehicle in question is a Huffy Fairlane.I hope I can pull off the detail work. I just tried to upload the picture but it says it's too large. I will try and figure out how to make it smaller. Thanks for all the help! -Joe

dhardin
kind of like a Swisher if it had 3 wheels.

Jovee
This is what the wreck should look like

Just learned what a pain it is to resize pictures -Joe

AC808
I have a Rugg that looks similar...the gear box location is hte same, shifter is identical, brake/clutch is same location and the deck appears to be the same. Im guessing that Rugg made it for Huffy. Mine appears to have been made for TrueValue.

Jovee
Thats what I thought too Jay, but the gentleman who sent me the information from his archives said that Huffy and Rugg were owned by a company called OTA for a short time and both have many similarities and use many of the same parts but are different. He said mine was not a Rugg but a real Huffy. I'm glad I know what it is and will continue to cringe when I think about starting on it - Joe

stormy2163
That is a nice looking little machine.Got to love that pan seat.Are you going to restore it?

AGCO918
That is a very cute little tractor that needs restored and shown at tractor shows. Small and the right size to put in a pickup.

Jovee
quote:
Originally posted by AGCO918
That is a very cute little tractor that needs restored and shown at tractor shows. Small and the right size to put in a pickup.
Thats one reason I wanted it because of the size. I could get a few of those in the pickup. It makes my serf look like a Powermax.
quote:
That is a nice looking little machine.Got to love that pan seat.Are you going to restore it?
I do plan to restore it eventually and get it to look like the pictured one. Finding one of those pan seats is an objective this summer. Wish me luck - Joe

Mack
You could give it a custom paint job with your favorite sports team or local school as a theme.Have a little fun with it.

deerhunter
If he puts a sports theme to it it better be black & gold!

rokon2813
Hey,
quote:
I do plan to restore it eventually and get it to look like the pictured one. Finding one of those pan seats is an objective this summer. Wish me luck - Joe
Finding one of those pan seats is not a major undertaking, if you know who to ask [:0] One PM would likely do the trick B)

Jovee
I've got the seat issue resolved. Thanks to Jay (AC808) I have a seat on the way (I love this place!). Sports team oriented? Hmmm - Black and Gold? Well, my favorite driver's DeWalt car IS Black and Gold....LOL . I will get it back to the red/white status that it should be. Hopefully later this summer I will get pics up of the finished product or close to it. I have a few projects ahead of it but now that I have my custom tractor rack completed life should be easier - Joe

Jovee
I am jealous of the tires on the blue one Dan8)

rokon2813
Joe, those are Firestone 26" x 12" x 12"'s mounted on standard Simp 7" wheels. We ran 3 to 7 lbs of air depending on the track, and never broke or spun the beads with no tubes. Cost was right around $75 each. Actually, the tires on the green one are the same, but have been "cut" for pulling. Using the blue one around the yard, on soft ground, with 10 lbs of air, you dont want to spin those tires either. They work just like shovels [:0]. As weighted, that tractor with me on it also weighs in right around 1100 lbs. ;) There is a better pic from the rear in my loader post in show and tell.