Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

So who's restoring tractors these days?

I am collecting all sorts of parts to put together a really cool fleet. Is anyone working on anything interesting lately? I did review the "show & tell" saw some great stuff, but figured to get a discussion going on this. One question I need to research is where we can get original tires without cracks... has anyone found exact replacements for the Goodyear Turfsaver? Is it still made?

No idea about the turfs but I'm currently working on a duel axle Broadmoor, with a few secret suprises!! Elon

Maybe the unvailing will be at the Colchester show and we can all stand around and laugh again watching Elon getting another lecture from the safety guy!:D:D:D

So far I have not been able to find the original style goodyear turf tires anywhere. Carlsile turf savers can be bought just about anywhere.

I like the feeling of finishing a restoration. But all to often I find when I get into one I get the urge to "Make it better" and then it's no longer a restoration job anymore. My 620 convertion is a prime example. I didn't start out to do all this, but as I got into it, I decided I wanted it to be the kind of tractor it could have been if it were produced Today. About the only thing it's not gonna have is 4 wheel drive. And if I had a mill and a lathe of decent size, it would probably have that too. I did make it through the HB212 without going nuts, till I put a 16 in it. Now I'm spoiled.lol That's what every tractor needs isn't it? MORE POWER..

I got to admit that I didn't realize what UCD and Kent kept saying when they talked about the HB216 or HB116... I guess a lot of folks like to beef up their old machines. I have a stock original 69 Camaro, so I come into this hobby trying to stay "original". Perhaps I'll beef up a 3112H, I think I may end up with an extra at some point.
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
I like the feeling of finishing a restoration. But all to often I find when I get into one I get the urge to "Make it better" and then it's no longer a restoration job anymore. My 620 convertion is a prime example. I didn't start out to do all this, but as I got into it, I decided I wanted it to be the kind of tractor it could have been if it were produced Today. About the only thing it's not gonna have is 4 wheel drive. And if I had a mill and a lathe of decent size, it would probably have that too. I did make it through the HB212 without going nuts, till I put a 16 in it. Now I'm spoiled.lol That's what every tractor needs isn't it? MORE POWER..

Here's my take on a restoration. Uh.....no. Mainly because i use these tractors all the time. But that's not to say that my first Landlord wont get a full on restoration. I'm waiting on one of the big ones before i go nutts. These little one's are nice all cleaned up but not really desireable in the open market. I do however plan on getting two sets of rims for ag tires for the broadmoor and fabricating up spacers to run duals. I'm also going get ag's for the front wheels as well. It almost never mows and if i stay at a reasonable height the grader, blower and dozer blades will still function properly. The Serf tackles the trimming around the yard with the ability of a push mower and the convienience of being a rider. The wheel horse 800 special is up for sale locally and should turn enough for me to do a little sprucing up to the rest of the tractors should I find the time between work, work and my job.

I agree with you Zippo as far as these tractors being fun but also workers. This is my 2010 shortly after resto:

This is what I use it for and how it earns it's keep:

I had a lot of fun fixing up this tractor but my bottom line is that it is a worker, and what a worker it is! To me, that is the real fun of this hobby: having a tractor that is nice and useful.

I have an HB112 i am working on right now. I was lucky because it came with a set of 10.5 goodyear turfsavers that look original and almost unused. No cracks or fading. Even the rims are nice. iF ONLY i COULD MAKE TIME TO WORK ON IT.

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
Maybe the unvailing will be at the Colchester show and we can all stand around and laugh again watching Elon getting another lecture from the safety guy!:D:D:D
Very funny Jim:D Unfortunetly I dont think this one will be done for Colchester this year. I'm still in the "how do I do this" stage. Elon

Just got the simp.727 broadmoor put together, motor in, wire up,new battery, put in gas, started her up and rode around the yard about 5 minutes. This is the tractor that my rear end is rusted. Not any more. She painted white and orange and pretty. Can't find the nut holder and thumb screws to put the hood on. Anyone know where I could find these? Don't know what I will do with her, have a 36" mower deck, revitilazer, Tiller, and front blade.

I just put a new 8hp in my 3008 putting a 12hp. in a 707 and have 2 627's i want to fix up this year yet.all this and I have to keep the other 8 tractors maintained

...where has the time gone?..oh ya..work. Goin to try to finish the 3416 that i started on last summer,.grrr..front end work.., and try to get goin on another one. The geo-swap runs, just getting the trans to work correctly now, and then paint time. May get side tracked building a couple small block chevy motors(283's-327's)and workin on restoring a '66 chevy 3/4ton truck too.

Currently in the works are a B-110w/ hydro lift and hi/lo, a 3116H w/hydro lift, and 2 B-1s. The B-1s have had trannys rebuilt and almost done with BGB. Also one more coat of paint and they will be ready to be reassembled. Rob

There is a black tire paint available that the big tractor guys use on their show tractors. It fills small cracks a little and gives a "new tire" look to old tires.It is sold by Miller Tire. They have a display at some large tractor shows or you can order on line at www.millertire.com Jim

I currently have enough parts to biuld an HB-216 with a Vickers hydro, hydraulic lift and cone clutch. also have another 16HP Briggs that will either go in my HB-112 or the 3212-H. The only thing that I am lacking is tractor time......

That tire site might be just what I need. I have a big gash in one rare tire, but it still holds air. Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by JimDk
There is a black tire paint available that the big tractor guys use on their show tractors. It fills small cracks a little and gives a "new tire" look to old tires.It is sold by Miller Tire. They have a display at some large tractor shows or you can order on line at www.millertire.com Jim

I don't think the tire paint will help with a big gash. It does cover some weather-checking and discoloration. Jim

ya, wasn't intending the tire paint for the gash, but the place there might have ideas. Does the tire paint fill in small dry rot cracks? I assume that's what it's best for.
quote:
Originally posted by JimDk
I don't think the tire paint will help with a big gash. It does cover some weather-checking and discoloration. Jim

In the middle of a 4041 that had a bad motor and lots of other issues. I rebuilt the motor. I'm changing out all the bearings and seals and fixing sloppy stuff and replacing brittle wires and cleaning and sanding and on and on and on. Hope to have it done in 2008:o) (Just kidding) Should have it on the grass in a couple more weeks. [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=nighteye&file=16198"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url] Its pretty tore up but the motor setting on the bench gives me ambition on this one.[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=nighteye&file=16199"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url]

• 2 weeks later...
Just for grins, I've thought about 4 wheel drive for my 7116, but I only have 26 hours in a day, so the project may have to wait for a while. But anyhow, how would you do it? Use the middle PTO to power a driveshaft and axle to the front wheels? I realize it's a simple thing to melt down some tin cans and cast a Dana44 or whatever, so I'm not worried about the front. Perhaps take the front end off of a Kubota? But would the BGB have to be redesigned as a transfer case? Just wondering.

I've been waiting for some fun conversations! finally, thanks! I can't help you with the 4WD, but my wheels will be looking good on some of my old tractors. Been finding it difficult to get paint in those cracks without running... spray canning it right now, have a sprayer, need to practice before I get into a real restoration. BTW: Looked up all the bearing numbers and will be posting to Boney's post later when I get it organized.