Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Made a muffler

neil56

G'day again, I finally made a new muffler for my 7016, thanks to Dutch for providing me with a drawing of the dimensions etc. and Waxen, (our other Aussie member)who picked up the materials for me, try as I might I couldn't get the outlet pipe to line up with the hole in the bonnet (engine cover), I only had a couple of plumbing elbows to work with, so I made an outlet pipe with a double offset in it. Does the job, and much quieter than what was there before.

Neil, That is an outstanding job for a home made muffler. You must own/have access to a sheetmetal shop. My original muffler has a baffle rattling around inside and I am going to engineer a system one of these days. Thinking about a 16" vertical stack on the opposite side. Ike

Hello Neil !! I have made mufflers also. Just not stainless steel. It took me two tries, But it sound's better then the old one. Nice looking job. How's the weather been???

Also Neil, if you make a sleeve that goes beyond the bonnet when it is down, you will find it to be quieter yet. I have one for my 7010. The drawback however is I forget remove it when I lift the lid.

Nice job, make a bunch of them, pack them in a suitcase and come on up to the north side of the equator and sell them. JH

Thanks for the compliments , and no, it is not stainless, just a piece of 4.25 " exhaust tube, Waxen found a place that had ready made perforated pipe, it had the right sized holes for the outlet pipe, and i drilled them larger for the inlet pipe, welding was easy as i have a MIG, cheers Neil,