Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

my first plead for help

rustyrex

I have several allis / simplicity creations that I, as my wife puts it,waste my time with.I have had some succes in reserecting an old b10/landlord (its a bit of both).I replaced the coil and fitted one of those igntion modules so the points are no longer used.I did this because the cam for the points is worn away.this fixed my spark problrm for a while but now I am back to no spark or very weak spark when it it present.....has any one used these ignition modules? what could be causing the weak spark? this tractor ran fine all winter. started first go every time even though I leave it out under a tree.

I have a Sten's unit for more then 10 years. Its been so long, I forgot how I wired it up. Never had to look back. I am sold on it.

HI, I would look for a loose or corroded connection. Also I would disconnect the kill line from the ignition switch to the engine from the engine. When switches get years of use, occassionally the contacts will wear and the powder from the contacts can form a conductive or leaky path and cause problems. Disconnecting this wire will rule that out. Al Eden

i dont have a shut off switch conected. that was the first thing I suspected. I have a Sten's unit to replace the points. it has a new coil. could it be the magnet on the flywheel?

hi - if you are talking about the coil deal that goes under the flywheel and against the magnets - you cant use the kind that dosent use points - dont work on some of these motors - the books says they do but they dont - do a search on the topic - it has been talked about alot - i tryed one on my b10 and it didnt work - it had spark but weak - engine wouldnt start - i couldnt understand it till i did some research on the site about it - went to an external coil and battery ignition and started right up - go figure - good luck