Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cleaning up sticks

skot71

I've got most of the branches cleaned up from the ice storm, but there's still a lot of small ones all over my yard. Does anyone have a good idea or have any experience with a tractor attatchment to do this? Otherwise, I'll give each of my boys a rake and tell 'em "Have at it!"

I have willow trees and always alot of sticks. I built a rake out of 1/2" round bar spaced about an inch apart that clamps to my dozer blade and hangs down about 2 inches. It looks sort of like a root rake that they use on a bulldozer. It misses a few but sure makes big piles of sticks in a hurry. I have also used my Dutch center blade mounted on the dozer frame but it digs in a little too much.

I'd thought about attaching something to my blade, but couldn't figure out what. Do you have a picture of what you have? Thanks for replying!

Scott, I don't have a picture but if you have access to a fax I could send you a drawing. John

Do you think this might rake them up? [img]http://www.dave-koenig.com/assets/images/600-Man.JPG[/img] I can't imagine what size of machine it'd take to pull one of these subsoilers...

I said I'd like the sticks OUT of my yard, not take the yard with it!!! :) I wouldn't have any grass to mow and spend tractor time on. Thanks though!

Big Bud(pictured above) was the second largest tractor built in 1977. 25 bonus points for naming the largest tractor.

I have a agri-fab lawn sweeper that works well with the smaller sticks and bark from my wood splitting area..Also works pretty well picking up the stones that the road plows throw into the lawn too..

Okay Larry, I give ?? What do you know that the internet doesn't? :D:D

quote:
The largest tractor built during the 20th century was constructed in 1977 and designated Big Bud 747 (Figure No. 5). This awesome tractor was fitted with a 16-cylinder Detroit Diesel engine retrofitted with the biggest fuel injectors made and produced 900 horsepower. It is more than 20 feet wide, 28 feet long and 14 feet to the top of the cab. It weighs 130,000 pounds with fuel in its 1,000-gallon tank and ballast in the specially made 8-foot tall duel wheels. It pulls an 80-foot chisel plow and covers an acre per minute. Big Bud 747 is owned by the Williams Brothers who operate an 8,000-acre wheat farm in Montana. They paid $95,000 for it used, spent another $15,000 to restore it and consider it the best investment they have ever made.

Here in Canada this one was made...still not as large or powerful as the Big Bud though. http://www.ag-museum.mb.ca/attractions/equipment/ Only one was made, and it never saw actual farm use. It's at an antique steam and gas tractor museum about 2 hours from where I live.

Oops! I goofed Dan. Versatile built the model 1080 "Big Roy" to compete with Big Bud at their plant in Fargo N.D. during 1977. Big Roy was longer at 30.5' but not as tall(11' to top of cab) and less HP(600*). My bad guys! I happened across an article on these tractors in Toy Farmer magazine and didn't research further at the time.