Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rototiller Woes

babbsrw

Was tilling last night with 36" tiller on A/C 410. After a few minutes of tilling the tines stopped. Belt was still going and turning the pulleys on the drive chain housing. I have looked at the parts breakdown and was hoping to see a key that I may have sheared. I didn't see one. Does anyone know if this might be an easy fix, or am I likely to find that I broke the chain in the chain housing? Thanks, Rich

More than likely you broke a chain on the inside the housing. I had a couple apart and don`t remember any keys that would shear.

Check the pins that hold the tine shafts to the tiller. I've had the cotter pins let go and the pins fall out before...

Here is a pic of the tiller housing for those who haven't seen one. My dad used it a lot for the last 40 years, so still it is in amazingly good shape. Simple design and strong steel. WHAT I FOUND: There were two smaller chains and one bigger chain in the housing. The master link on the big chain just fell off. All master link parts are there and are fine. One of the smaller chains was ok, and the other smaller chain had a broken link. I also found that a few bolts and nuts had vibrated loose. Should be back up and running in the next few days. Haven't mastered the pics yet, they seem a bit fuzzy.