Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller Question

B.Ikard

Hello All, It's getting about time to till up the garden and start planting-tomorrow if it dries up enough. I have a tiller for my 7012H now 7014H and have never used it....I bought the tractor last November. I was wondering how these tiller attachments will dig compared to a front tine tiller? Does weight on the back (tiller) help? I still have to paint and reinstall engine....probably will not be finished this weekend. I really need to get the garden out tomorrow but would like to use the tiller attachment. Ike

You will find a tiller is your MOST favorite attachment! I tilled my fiance's garden two years ago and I won family approval for the Simplicity/AC line. They thought I was nuts and they couldn't/perhaps still can't see the difference between the tin shiny small transmission machines at Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart etc. I just visisted another member and he has two tillers and tills peoples yards. I am keeping an extra tiller (in pieces needing repair) for similar reasons! You will love it! Front weight is important and a way to shut the machine down because it might want to make you walk! real fast. Enjoy!

Go to my profile. If the soil has the right moisture this is what you can get. My tiller is pushing 35 plus years and I like it.

IN my opinion there is no way you can compare atractor mounted tiller to a walk behind. With a tractor tiller 1. there is no tracks left behind. 2. the tractor(much heavier than me) takes the abuse. 3. Lots more horsepower than 98% of other tillers Try it and you will like it. If you have hydrostatic you will like it more.

Bought my used tiller for my AC712 Shuttle this spring. Used it to till a 40' x 40' garden area. Just love it.. Can't say any more than that. Dan

I just mine this week from a club member and it works flawlessly.3 passes and your done.It weighs a ton so it stays down without bouncing or missing.I will sell my troybuilt now.

My dad has had a front tine tiller, a troybuilt rear tine tiller and a tiller for his simplicity tractor. Just to give you an idea, the front tine tiller lost it's motor to a go cart, and the troybuilt is almost unused. I just started off with the best and got myself a simplicity tractor with a tiller.

Here's a sample of how a tiller on a 3012V with manual lift operates. The weight of the tiller is countered with the "tiller counter weight" and this attaches to the lift mechanism causing this to raise and lower with the lift. This is tilling a 40' x 40' garden. This whole garden can be tilled in 10-15 minutes. While the instructions say, not to backup. Backing up, does seem to go deeper and seems to really work up the dirt. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/michaelg221/PICT0019_edit.JPG[/img]

I have 3 tiller for my 4 working tractors and a walk behind 16" rear tine tiller.I use the AC tillers to till the garden. The walk behind to cultate between the rows, it will work you to death to till hard ground and it take forever. And at 67 I'd rather ride than walk.

Older tracs with lift rods till deeper than cable lift newer machines.The rod gives you digging down-pressure,.And I've seen other type trac tillers work but these are by far the best.