Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB interchangability

lpcb10

Is there a list somewhere of which BGB's are interchangable. I ask because parts seem to be easier to get for a 7010 BGB than for a B-10 BGB. If the later unit will fit will I be able to get parts easier??

Not that I know of. Please feel free to make one! I only know of two different types; variable speed and non-variable speed.

The 7010 box should interchang with the B-10. The shuttle and hydrostatic ones are interchangeable but a variable has a lot longer shaft on the right side.

The later model tractors 3400 series +up are not directly interchangable with the B-10 unit. The reason being is that the later tractors used a cone clutch pto instead of the belt driven lower shaft style pto, which means the cross shaft is different, as well as there being several variations on the final drive style (variable,shuttle,the hi/lo six speed and the hydro) as opposed to the straight 3 spd on the B-10. While the physical gear box is nearly identical the cross shaft will be different and if I'm not mistaken the input shaft dia was changed on the newer units as well. I've never tried to swap the cross shaft between the different bgb's so that may be an option but I can't vouch for that. IMHO unless the gearbox case is broken or you can get a direct replacement BGB for the B-10 you'd better off to overhaul the B-10 bgb. The last time I needed them the parts were still availible. You might spend a little more for the replacement parts but there'll be no question that it fits.

Thanks to everyone for your help. My BGB has 1/8th inch of freeplay on the gear lash but almost 1/4 side to side for the output shaft. How much side to side slop should I worry about?