Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Concern over Briggs parts availability

Chris727

I used to be a briggs fan but I'm not sure anymore. Most of my tractors have the horizontal Cast Iron series briggs engines from 9 to 16 HP. The 9, 12, and 2 ten's need to be overhauled. I've kind of been keeping an eye on the parts avalability and at least at the sears parts site and outdoor distributors, the .010 and .030 oversized pistons for the 16's are NLA. Weren't they still making this engine less than 10 years ago? I seem to recall someone couldn't get a .010 over piston for their 243431 10HP. Is briggs going to entirely stop supporting these products? Does anyone know if there is any chance an aftermarket company will start making these parts? Does anyone know why its so much easier to get Kohler stuff? I'd hate to think that these things will be boat anchors soon. Even tecumseh HH100's (junk engine) have better availability. You can get all the pistons, rods, heads, etc. But if you need ignition parts you're screwed. Thanks in advance. Chris

It is much easier to get kohler stuff, since I have found they are used on almost everything. I hardly ever see a cast briggs up here. The pullers are also big fans of Kohler engines. I myself, just bought 12 kohler pistons, 4 rods and rings of assorted sizes for the k series for less that $250 CAD. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0033.jpg[/img] These are NOS kohler parts also. I have a K321 (14HP) that i'm doing a total rebuild on, In the end I will have maybe $100 in the whole engine, including the block. Sure happy I don't have a briggs to rebuild.

Chris the last 16hp 326431 I bought is a 2002 engine, they are still building these and selling them over seas. I think Kent or someone posted you can still get short blocks here. There is also all kinds of aftermarket parts available for these engines thru different suppliers.

You need 12 pistons? Do Kohlers wear out that fast?And rods too? Good thing you only have one Kohler motor. Just pulling your leg !! I have found it easy to get either Kohler or Briggs parts.

When I looked at outdoor distributors site a while back, there were no stens replacement parts such as pistons and rods for the cast iron engines like my 9HP, maybe too old. Someone told me Briggs hasn't made the parts for years and when whats left in the warehouses is gone then its gone for good. RayS, where was your engine made? Is it one of the overseas models, is the quality about the same? Thanks for the info. Chris

Kent, Can you post the link for the 16 hp shortblocks? I checked the small engine warehouse and they had none in stock. ddh

Chris, I am not sure where it was made. I have had it for the 3rd season now and I have absolutely no problems with it. If it is from china, it is built in one of Briggs factory to there standards. I can get (std. and +.010) piston assemblies for the 326431 16hp and connecting rods (std. and .020 under) thru my distributor. My book has all kinds of aftermarket parts for Briggs and Kohler. Dwayne, here is a link to the shortblock on Small Engine Warehouses site http://smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=SB393870 . I bought a 10 243431 from them a year ago and they said they had 10 available site still says that. They mst not update there site much. They may even have a complete 16hp if you call them.

All this stuff will go the way of the hit and miss motors soon[maybe 10 yrs?] as they do NOT meet current noise/emission regs.,There used to be a dist. called Power Lawnmower Parts that had it all,but I think they are out of business.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
You need 12 pistons? Do Kohlers wear out that fast?And rods too? Good thing you only have one Kohler motor. Just pulling your leg !! I have found it easy to get either Kohler or Briggs parts.
Each piston should do at least 20 years of good work. Just thought i'd stock up while they were avaliable. I have at least 8 running kohlers, and maybe 4 i want to rebuild. Most of the time the rods are ok, I have at least 10 spare used pistons and rods too. Kohlers havent disappointed me yet. Now, those briggs are a different story.... :D:D:D

Now Graham, you know them pistons have got to do some real work for them to wear out. If they don't wear out then that must mean.....

I have both Koklers and B/S on my tractor. Can't say one is better then the other. I find the trouble I've had with any of them has been my lack of proper maintenace. Run any one of them with low oil and they all will blow up. My AC914 kohler made in about 1985 is now smoking something awfull, but 20 years of work isn't to bad. So I'm Looking at rebuilding it some time.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Now Graham, you know them pistons have got to do some real work for them to wear out. If they don't wear out then that must mean.....
.... Nobody's worked them. :)

Glen's Surplus in Shelby, Ohio has a brand new 9hp cast iron briggs for $495.00. It is the same engine that is in my 1963 Simplicity landlord. They also carry parts for just about every make of motor.