Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PTO cone clutch problems

srwven

The PTO pulleys were slipping so I removed the PTO cone clutch plate on the 7014S to find there was no liner left. Replaced the PTO cone clutch plate with a new one from the local dealer. Now with the PTO lever not engaged the pulleys are contacting the clutch plate with the nut barely on the shaft and thus the PTO is always engaged. There is no play or movement in the shaft. I know it is the right clutch plate. Is there an adjustment to move the pulleys further in from the clutch plate? Manual states 70lb torque for the clutch plate nut, it won't disengage if it is more than finger tight.

I just put a new clutch cone on a 7116 and found the yoke pivots had worn enough that I could not adjust the yoke to retract enough. You may need to also replace the yoke and/or pivot bushings.

I wonder if your driven shaft moved away from the bevel gears (maybe a c-clip moved??) and caused the difference in the shaft length??. Just a thought. JH

I actually had one of the bolts from the side plate that holds the BGB in place back out on me and cause the same symptoms...something else you may want to look for. Gord

I have had this problem before. I had to adjust the engagement lever nuts one way or the other (the spring loaded end toward the rear) to the point I could hardly work the lever in order to get enough clearance when disengaged. After a few uses the lining wears enough to adjust again and let you work the PTO lever more easily. Brent

I had to do the same as Brent on my 3410.My wife couldn't use the tractor,because she couldn't engage the mower,I had to set it that tight.Much better now.

quote:
Originally posted by Brent_Baumer
I have had this problem before. I had to adjust the engagement lever nuts one way or the other (the spring loaded end toward the rear) to the point I could hardly work the lever in order to get enough clearance when disengaged. After a few uses the lining wears enough to adjust again and let you work the PTO lever more easily. Brent
That was it. Had to adjust it as far as it will go without it hitting the foot clutch/brake rod next to it. Thanks for the help.