Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydraulic operation in tilling

skubbs

I'm tilling with my 916, and would like to know if, when the hydro lever is in the implement-down forward position, the implement will tend to rise when the lever falls backwards, as it does by gravity. How do I know the tiller is staying all the way down in the dirt? Thanks,

Do you mean when your hydro lift lever is in the neutral possition the lift creeps up lifting the implements? If so, it should not do this. There are springs in the spool valve endcap that keeps the lever from moveing out of neutral. Also, the cable going to the rear should basically allow the tiller to float until the slack is taken up. As you travel forward, you'll probably see the tiller lift some and the faster your groudspeed is, the higher it will most likely lift as it can't dig but so fast in certain types of soil. I'm not sure of your ?? but maybe I shead some light on the problem.

You can also reroute your cable so that when front lift goes up rear lift goes down. By doing this, the lever will be in rear position and tiller will be down. I had similiar problem when all the linkage including the spool had excess wear and required more movement of lever than stock to move impliment.

I have a 3212H with a 36 inch tiller. I haven't used the tiller yet but from what I've heard you should leave the hydro lever in the "float" position while tilling so if you hit a rock or tree roots the whole tractor won't bounce or jump forward.

The 916 should have a cable to lift the tiller. That takes care of the sudden push if the tiller hits an obstruction. A rigid connection between the rear lift and the rockshaft tended to destroy electric lifts. At least that is what I have read.

My experiance has been that we think the tiller should till 15" deep in any kind of soil,clay, rock or sand in one pass. Hard soil, speed of tractor, tines sharpness of tiller all determan how deep it will till on the first pass. Notice I said first pass. Some may find plowing first then tilling is the answer. Ken

I think the maximum depth on those tillers is only 9." I know my 36" tiller doesnt go any deeper than that, then the housing would likely be burried.