Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another what is it worth question

wheelie

I looked at a AC Big 10 and a B 12 last night that was in an old barn owned by a farmer. Both of the hoods and side pannels missing, the Big 10 had a mower deck in good condition and the B 12 didn't have one. Both tractors looked real ruff but everything was there minus the hoods and pannels. The farmer said both were running when parked. What would be a good offer without insulting him.........basicly he wouldn't give me a price......I have to make an offer.........he don't need the money and I think there is a little sentimental value there. Thanks for any replies.

Tim I've always work backwards when buying old stuff. In other words if you could sell the B10 for $500.00. Now how much are you going to have to spend to fix them up. Parts, paint, time,other attachments to sell them. I think you get the picture. And always never assume that the motor are good, always no matter what as far as you are concerned they are shot. Just my way of doing things. Ken

I am very cheap. I would propably offer him $100 for the pair if the BGB are good. I have a hood and side panels if you need them.

Well the farmers boy called and said they would take $225 for both and I ended up buying them for $200............hope I did the right thing, I'm kind of new to this (looking for tractors in old barns) and hope the wife don't kill me.....lol. Just to introduce myself I have a Simplicty 2110 (mower/rototiller/snow plow) and the wife has a cub cadet 100 that she loves. Thanks for the help, and I'll post some picks of the Big 10 and the B 12 when I get them home.

I'd say you did ok. Welcome aboard, lots of people with lots of brain power here to help out. Funny thing about "it ran when parked", to me it's kinda like saying "that there horse had no problem breathing before he died". You just never know what you're getting into, but the gamble is great fun.

As always, you need to be a paying club member to post pictures. Unless this has changed in the last few months. I think you did good on the price of the tractors. Do they have any neat bolt on Items?

You got two for what I've usually got to give for one, hope yours will be all right, I agree with KVANDY12 on the motors. I've bought running tractors which didn't really smoke at all, then pull the head to change a head gasket and find a ton of oil on top of the piston. Now I'm looking at a minnimun of $250 to get the motor in shape. I think a good way to tell how one was running is by looking at the condition of the spark plug, if there is alot of carbon, especially if its oilly assume you'll have to drop a few hundred into the motor, unless the plug was borrowed from an oil burner. Sometimes you can get by with just rings but you never know until you take it apart and take measurements.

Great deal on the tractors...Its always good getting deals...As for the wife and the Cub Cadet, one of them should go...! :-)

quote:
Originally posted by AC808
Great deal on the tractors...Its always good getting deals...As for the wife and the Cub Cadet, one of them should go...! :-)
lol.......I've been thinking the same thing^ I'm still trying to figure out which one needs the most maintance;)

Thats a good deal because I just gave a guy 40 for a b-110 and a b-10.,basically just frames,90%of the tin,1 bev box, and 1 stuck motor,.