Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Generator Starter to hot to handle.

KVANDY12

Starter generator on my Homelett T-10 gets so hot it burnt my hand when I accidently touched it. Don't think they are suppose to get hot, maybe a little warm. lest waysnone of the other S/G I have get hot. Any ideas what the couse an cure is. Boy its nice to solve the stuck in gear problem and have another different problem to solve. Who sent murphy this way? thanks Ken

I don't think it's correct if it gets that hot. Could be the regulator is stuck making the generator charge full and heating it up or the bushings/bearings in the generator are worn and the armature is rubbing on the inside and shorting out. Loosen the belt on the generator and spin it by hand and check to se if the bushings/bearings are loose. If they are then it's time to rebuild it or get a used one to replace it. I think there was a recent post on here about how to rebuild one of these. Best of luck... By the way... can you keep Murphy at your place? I don't need him here... I have enough projects for now... :>)

You can keep Mr. Murphy, his close cousin has been visiting me lately :) On the hot S/G there was a recent post, about this. If you battery is not holding a charge the regulator is always calling for voltage to charge the battery, making the S/G work hard. Or perhaps the regulator is bad always calling for voltage. Does your battery boil out? If it does probably the regulator needs looked at. The bearings could be another source of friction heat. GregB

Ken start with the battery. Greg is right in that if a battery is weak or undersized it will constantly call for charge and overheat the S/G. This is the most common cause I've seen. If the battery checks out ok and is not undersize then follow Ricks advice and check the voltage regulator to see what the output is and if it is failing to open the contacts when the battery is fully charged. If the Starter/gen bearings are bad they will overheat but I can't remember seeing one get hot enough to burn you before it locks up. Then again, there's always an exception to every rule!. By the way....make sure you are useing a 22nf or size 51(?) battery on these garden tractors. The 8U/9U/10U "lawnmower"batteries are just too small for our tractors and are garranteed to cause you problems, including overworking the S/G.

quote:
Originally posted by GregB
You can keep Mr. Murphy, his close cousin has been visiting me lately :) GregB
I havent seen Him for a couple months. It's a Miracle:):)