Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New blades or old sharpened blades?

AC808

I flipped over my 48" deck for my 7116...the blades dont appear to be too old..but are made bt Simplicity. All are quite dull and would probably take an edge nicely. Whats youre preference-Sharpen the dull ones OR just buy new ones???

Been sharpening and balancing on my OEM blades for years now and still plenty of life left in them. Unless your planning on Gators I suggest sharpening also. IMO.

I sharpen mine. The Simplicity blades last a long time. No point throwing away something that's still very useable.

Sharpen them. At the cost for new blades this one is a no brainer. You can balance them using a nail on the wall. So there is no additional cost unless you don't have a bench grinder. The cost of a cheap bench grinder is less than a set of blades and a cheap one is all you need. Does anyone have a part number for Gator Blades for a 42" AC deck vintage 1978?? Dan

I like to sharpen them in the vise with my angle grinder.Just seem to be able to get a better edge that way than with the bench grinder.Either way, you should get years of service from them.

i balance mine on one of those che $2 arnold cone things. I find that i can do a little better job with a stone on my pnewmatic die grinder than on the bench grinder. the only time i have ever had to replace a blade was when i hit a hidden piece of rebar that bent the heck out of it. unless the blade is real old and eaten up, i would save the $$$ and touch it up

I do the vice and angle grinder, then check balance with the cone thingee. I just bought some gators for the 48" and can't wait to try them.

The ultimate, in 1986 it cost $130.00, sliding magnet over a tapered shaft to center a multitude of center bores, a bearing so precise that a cardboard match placed on the blade shown will cause the blade to rotate to a new position. The drawback is that it will only handle blades up 26" in dia because of the attachment devise that is used to check for bent blades, it won't stretch out any farther. It looks like a bent radio antenna in the picture. Also blade is balanced when opposite corners are on the same plane. That's what those chalk marks try to show. Once you get the hang of it you can check balance and staightness of some relly wierd shaped blades, sharpening them is another story.

Just got a set from Brenda Dan, part # on the invoice is N50251. Also just got home from work so haven't checked them for fit, sure are some wicked looking dudes. Just checked for fit, wrong deal, so don't use that part # Dan. The holes are half a hole to wide and 5/16 instead of 3/8.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Just got a set from Brenda Dan, part # on the invoice is N50251. Also just got home from work so haven't checked them for fit, sure are some wicked looking dudes. Just checked for fit, wrong deal, so don't use that part # Dan. The holes are half a hole to wide and 5/16 instead of 3/8.
I just checked the Oregon catalog and it lists the following for the 42" deck. Part number for gator mulching blade - 90-942 length - 14 1/2 center hole - 3/4 outer holes - 25/64 c/l to c/l - 3 1/16 These replace oem number 1656144 & 2025856. I did not find a listing for the gator mulching blade for the older style with the larger center hole ( 1 3/8 ).

Thanks Mike. mine are---- length - 14 1/4 center hole - 3/8 outer holes - 5/16 c/l to c/l - 3 1/4 Don't think the center hole matters as there is no hub on mine for it to go over anyway. On the oem blades it was just full of old crud.

I ussually sharpen mine with 2 or 3 yard mows on them That works out to around 6-8 hrs of mowing. My biggest problem is the occational gravel or debrie I find. But I do like to keep them faily sharp. To me it's much easier on the belts and the engine. Not to mention th equality of cut and the ability to get over the grass faster. I get into the blades around half way , almost to the bend, before I toss them out. Some say I sharpen mine away, but my idiot father-in-law puts new blades on each spring and doesn't sharpen them but once or twice all season. Then he wonders why his Cub-Cadet won't mow worth a.... Well you get the idea. He won't try my 620. I think it intimadates him when he sees me doing 8 or so miles an hr on it.lol