Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Question

JCS

Can I take a 10 HP Kohler and make it into a bigger one? Are the blocks the same and all would need to to is get a bigger (14-16) HP piston or am I just dreaming.............

not to sure with Kohlers.But i would say if the blocks are the same them maybe the stroke is different in them too?Sometime the piston are the same size.Just a thought.Tony

This site has a lot of good information on what you can do with different kohler engines. Might have the info you are looking for. http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/tips.htm

You for sure cant make it a 16, they had an extra bolt on the head. I dont even know if you could make it a 12. Nevver seen one done, but the 10's ahve a different stroke than the 12's, but if you had crank rod and piston, it might be possible. I have a 12 and 14 blocks here, if you may be interested.

It is not likely that you can turn a 10 Hp into one of the larger engines. The 12, 14, and 16 Hp engines are all the same stroke, with different bores. They are not, however, the same block. The difference between the bores is .250 between each of these engines. Even in the pro stock classes, the largest overbores that I am aware of are on the order of .180, with larger overbores usually causing cylinder blowout. My guess is that if you do bore one out without a problem during the machining, it won't have the stability to last long.

You can bore a K241 to a K301 no problem. The two have the same outside cylinder wall dimension. The extra boring cost however will surely raise an eyebrow. You'll need a K301 crank, piston, and rod to complete the transformation. Tom(PK)