Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil change...... and flush???

deerhunter

When you guys change the oil in your machines do you flush with anything? If so what do you use? An old-timmer once told me to use kerosene!

I have heard of useing kerosene to flush a motor out.I just use a half to a quart of clean oil to flush the pan out.Just my 2 cent Tony

The old timers would use that or diesel to flush crankcases, but that was before detergent oil. Sludge would build up in the crankcase and needed to be flushed. You don't need to flush the crankcase with anything--almost all oil has detergents nowadays. Just make sure you get it warm before you change it.

my friend Eddie would use gasoline. Remove the sparkplug, drain the oil. Put in some gas and turn the flywheel.I heard it is dangerous. But he could get the oil as clean as could be in an old engine.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad. Way back when, in the days of the old ford model A. Dad used coca-cola to flush out the car radiator. Left coke in it overnight and he swore that when they flushed it out in the morning that the radiators were very, very clean. Not a old wives tale, its true. In the engines they used kersoene as a cleaning solvent.

I mentioned this once before and thought it worth mentioning again. Rislone. 6oz in the larger 10+ hp motors. Top off with your choice of oil. I've used Rislone since the 80's and swear by it's ability to prolong oil life and keep things clean. I've also used Coca-Cola for cleaning. The theory is that the Phosphoric acid in the Coke will act as an emulsifier to grease and sludge. Although.......I wouldnt suggest using it on any internal parts of ANY engine just because it's also got sugar in it. Muratic Acid was always my choice to clean out radiators and heater cores. 1qt acid, top the radiator off, run the engine for about 20 minutes or how ever long it takes to open the thermostat then thoroughly flush the system for another 30 minutes with the engine running at normal operating temp. Making sure you totally drain the engine block as well as radiator by way of the heater core hoses. Dang....I can get long winded about these things some times. Sorry!! Hope my 2 cents worth helps.

Just remember this, what ever is flushed loose is liable to be picked up and splashed out some where. Better off draining oil at regular intervals and let the stuff come out the drain port. Engine oil is still a cheap commodity.