Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

No spark

Simplicity314

Trying to get a 7 h.p. pull-start up and running. It is a '67 and had points and condensor which I disconnected and installed an electronic module. I cleaned and regapped the points before I disconnected them and there was no spark then. Tried 2 different plugs. Keyway is good and the kill switch is not hooked up and wire not grounded. Replaced coil with one I know worked (yes, a points-type), adjusted to air gap and still no spark of any kind. Any ideas??? Magnets all clean. Is there any way to test an ignition module? I assume these engines aren't positve grounds so the polarity is correct. Thanks in advance.

Make sure that the ignition module is getting a good ground to the surface that it is mounted to. I ran into this on one of my tractor in the past.

That could be...I have it on the flywheel cover. Does it have to be on the block itself??? Thanks.

I have mine under the points cover fastened in the hole that the condensor mounts to. But it should work on the flywheel cover if it gets a good ground.

I mounted one on 16 B&S awhile back and could get a spark , i ready the instuctions again and it said change the wires around if no spark.i did and the engine started right up, you mite have module that is different from the one that i have. JJ

Ray--I wanted to put mine under the poins cover but it wouldn't fit! I have since moved it to near the spark plug so I can leave the cover off to get at the coil easier. JJ: I'll try switching the wires. Can't hurt, and it's easy enough. The thing could be stamped wrong I suppose. If not, I'll look at a new coil as a last ditch effort. I know they rarely go bad, but.... Thanks. --Jim

Well, I tried switching the wires and still nothing. So I looked at the coil closer, for shorted wires, etc., and found a nice 3/4" crack on the side of it. It's either that or a defective module, as far as I can tell.