Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 HP Briggs wiring

ambler

I have a 16 hp briggs I'm putting in a 7100 six speed. Does a simplicity wiring harness hook up to these? My briggs book says there is a diode. Does anyone know what they are in a wiring diagram? Is one the kill wire? This is out of a Gilson.

On the 16 HP Briggs I just installed, the diode is in the fuse holder along with a short (SFE) 7.5 amp fuse. The other wire is an AC output from the dual-circuit alternator. Generally the magneto kill wire comes out of the other side of the blower housing.

Carls right. Both of these are for the dual circut alt. The kill wire is the same on all the Briggs and comes out at the points box. Unless it doesn't have points.lol But it still wires up from that location. Also, don't forget to resize your photos and separate the imj pics with a space. That will help in the pictue posting.

I think its a tri circuit because the connectors look like 474A in the 326400 parts list. What do you get out of the the fat one for the diode? How many amps?

I don't have my Briggs book here in front of me but I'll try to remember to look it up unless someone beats me to it, but 5 or 7.5 amps comes to mind. It's not a bunch, but it will do the job. As for the other wire thats for the AC circut for lights. I always thought that this was about useless. If you run anything less than full throttle, your lights dim out bad.

According the wiring diagram that Maynard posted in response to my question in another thread about Briggs wiring on 7100 series Sovereigns, the AC output is not connected to anything. The lights run off the switched 12 VDC from the battery. The reason the 12 VDC current output is relatively low is because the AC is only being half-wave rectified.

I don't know what the AC stator winding is rated at current wise. I suppose if you knwew that you could calculate the DC current available. Just full-wave recitifying the AC would produce a higher average DC voltage than half-wave (ie, a diode) rectifying the AC. The current output would be unchanged.

Ambler, Ichecked my Briggs book and states for the 14,17,and 190000 series engines these alt. use a ax.5amper AC light circut and a 3 amper unregulated DC bat. chargeing circut. It doesn't show the dual circut for the 320000 engines so my book is a little dated. However, it probably is not much diff. since the stators and rpm's are the same. To get any other charge rate out of the engine you nust change thestator over to a full circle single output fully rectified and regulated system. I know this is not the news you probably wanted to here, but this system will keep you charged as long as you have decent run times on the tractor and you don't do a lot of light useage. If your lights are hooked to the bat. not the AC circut.

Dave, This is the tricircuit. Engine isn't installed, I could pull fly wheel and install different stator if flywheel has enough magnets. Picture of the stator I saw, it certainly looks beefy enough. Guesss I'll call distributor.

Ambler, the tri circuit has one wire coming from stator and then is split two ways with diodes, + 5 amps for charging and holding an electric clutch and - 5 amps for lighting. A big resistor is use on the plus side to hold back charging to the battery to 3 Amps when clutch is not used. All is un regulated. The two terminal arrangement shown in your picture relates more to 3 amp DC charging an 50 watts or so AC for lights. And that is more like 474B in parts list unless Gilson used an electric clutch. Also that is all either stator will give you.