Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spring cleanup

BruceF

Got some tractor time in today. I wanted to cleanup around the garage at my new place. Here's what it looked like before.

After using my loader tractor and another one with the belly blade here is after.

As long as I had the belly blade on I decided to grade the driveway as well. The driveway I don't think it had ever be graded and was high in the middle. I just kept digging the middle out until it was lower than the outer parts of the driveway.

All graded and closer to being leveled off.

Here is the loader tractor loaded in the trailer for the return home.

Bruce, looks good. BTW, your driveway is supposed to have a little crown in it so the water runs off into the side ditches and drains. Not to say it wasn't worn too high. If water stands in the road, it will soften up and start potholeing out. Still, a great day of tractoring.

Dave, Thanks for the info. I know it is hard to see in the pictures and I forgot to get a before picture but the driveway was worn down to basically two ruts that guided you down the driveway. Also the whole driveway is down hill and I haven't seen any water standing after the thaw or the rains we have gotten. I guess I was hoping to get the water to run down the middle so as to be better directed when it gets to the bottom of the driveway by the garage and house. Am I wrong in my thinking as I have never had a gravel driveway to care for before?

You should keep a couple inch crown in your drive way Bruce. A concrete or asphalt one you can use as drainage ditch but a gravel one may wash out with a hard rain, even if packed hard. What happens on mine is the fines wash away in time then I have rocks poking out.

Bruce, Marty's right on the money. The object of the crown is to get the water off the drive to the sides as soon as possible. This places the running water that would/could wash the fines and stone away. I understand completely about the 2 ruts problems. This happens when you only travel the same 2 tire tracks all the time. Soon grass will overtake the edges of the drive and the edges will turn to sod and your rock will dissaprear into the ground. I would spray weed liller on the edges of the stone, keep a few inches crown in the center and try not to follow the same tracks all the time. Also, if you have a down hill slope in the drive, you need more crown in the center so the water will shed to the ditches and not down the drive.

Reminds me of ksevers property when he bought it with all that brush. It's amazing what these tractors can do. Are you all moved in yet?