Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs twins

Jovee

I just got news from my parts supplier that B/S has shut down the line for all horizontally opposed twin (12-14-16-18) engines and there will be no parts availability. He knows my addiction for dragging home strange things and warned me of this. Is this old news and is there any truth to it? - Joe

That's the first I've heard of this, but it may be true. I know Kohler no longer makes the K-Series and Magnum horizontally opposed twins. But Kohler still makes parts for them, at least for now anyways. I guess everyone is switching over to the V-Twin OHV engines. :)

Hi, Yes and no. They no longer cast the blocks and no short blocks are being made. The rest of the parts are available. This has been true of the 19 and 25 cu inch engines for several years. These are business decisions. The new generation engines have been on the market for nearly 20 years now. I believe the Vangards came out around the 1986 area. I may be off a couple of years. The twins have been virtually replaced by the OHVs for several years and the number of the older tractors that use the old twins and are worth short blocking are getting fewer and fewer. Keep in mind that the biggest users of engines are the mass merchant and Crapsmans of the world. Companies like Simplicity are small volume producers. How many old Dynamutts and Mtds are worth short blocking? If the numbers aren't there, they will die. Several years ago we went to sell a spacer for a 9020 and it was around $30.00. After I gave the customer verbal CPR, I called Gary Bley who was the head of parts. I asked him if maybe when they printed the parts list they made a decimal error and it should have been $3.00 instead. He said, I'll look into it and let you know. He called me back and said the last time they made them they made 10 pcs. It only fit the 9020 family and they would never make any more. He gave me the set up times and tear down times and run times, to machine, centerless grind to .001, heat treat and coat the part. Divide by 10 pieces and that if I had bought the parts on Spring stock order, I would have bought them below their production cost. He said if they had run 1000 parts, they would have been around 4.00 each. It is purely the reality of the numbers. Al Eden

Like I said before,all this cast iron stuff will be gone in 5 yrs so hold on to your engs/parts.And the new stuff is all crap as far as Im concerned.Nothing made today will last as long as the old cast stuff does imo.,public wants like 24 hp weedwackers now,no need for a 9-10 hp tractor.wont sell,,

Thanks for the heads up. I dont own any twins as of yet so I dont know whats good or bad. All my singles are either B/S or Tecumsehs. The newest I have is a 95 but thats it. Everything else is 60s and 70s when they were built to last a while. Its a shame everything now has gone to a throw away society. Engines blowing after a few years, unrepairable rearends, and other non fix overpriced replacement parts. I for one and proud of my old stuff and perhaps one day society will open their eyes and see it. But for now I will just laugh to myself when I see one of the newer mass market machines being loaded up at the store. Mine will still be going when their grandkids are buying their "new" tractor - Joe