Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116 Voltage Regulator

I fried the voltage regulator in my 1977 7116. It has 2 wires that go into it that come from the engine and there is 1 wire that comes out and goes to the battery. Nobody around my area seems to have these or can get them. Is there any other type that I can use? I was thinking about an automotive regulator but I wasn't sure. Any advice? Thanks!

Napa.......take the old regulator to them and they "should" be able to match it up. IF you have a camera, a picture speaks a thousand words. Someone here may even have a spare they can get to you to help cure you're woe's.

Can't be a 1977 7116 They weren't made to 1979. Should be a briggs. Year of tractor is generally within a year of motor. Check engine spec number first two numbers in serial number are year of manufacture. Any briggs dealer should be able to get it for you. check alternator AC output with a DVM to see if the stator is fried.

You can get a Wells brand voltage regulator part number VR605 thru Auto Zone for less than $25.00. This is what I have on a 16hp briggs in my 917H.

• 2 weeks later...
Bought the VR605 and it doesn't seem to work. The 2 wires that come off of the engine put out about 15 VAC and the wire that goes to the meter is at battery voltage level. I connected the hot lead to BAT on the regulator and the other 2 leads to the remaining posts. Mounted it to a clean area (sanded) on the frame and still no output. Did I pooch it or is the regulator not correct?

7116, Not really sure what the regulator you are discussing looks like but it sounds a lot like the 15 Amp Kohler voltage regulators. I have a friend that works as a field rep for a regional Briggs/Kohler/Tecumseh distributor. We were talking one day about some used Kohler parts and he warned me the Kohler 3 terminal 15 amp regulators must be grounded before you hook them up or they will be damaged/fry. Ike

Also bring the numbers on the starter/generator. Not all regulators will work with a given s/g, even if the poles are the same. Check out this link http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24113 Read the reply by Al especially, a few responses down.

This is for a Briggs engine. The VR that came off was about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" and had the two wires that go to the engine go into a connector. I talked with a briggs repair shop about it and he told me the voltage to look for and it seems to be fine. Don't think I hava a starter/generator on this tractor as the wires come out from the engine, not off of the starter. No belt drive to the starter either; it just engages when the key is turned.

You have an A-C rectified and regulated 15A DC output regulator and I think there is no aftermarket type available. I have one on my 7116 and my spare engine.

John, I assumed when you said that you fried your voltage regulator that it had a starter generator. All my tractors have a starter generator on them and the voltage regulator I listed above is for a starter generator setup.

John, From your description of the regulator it sounds like you need a Briggs part no. 691185 regulator. The 10 and 16 amp systems use the same stator, color coding and regulator-rectifier. The alternator output is determined by the flywheel magnet size. The Briggs part no. 691185 regulator is available from a Briggs & Stratton dealer and you can also get them here: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/index.html