Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Up in the air about this tractor....better look!

SmilinSam

[img]http://a6.cpimg.com/image/7E/1C/46997886-c904-0228016A-.jpg[/img] [img]http://a7.cpimg.com/image/7F/1C/46997887-0b8d-016400F4-.jpg[/img] [img]http://a8.cpimg.com/image/80/1C/46997888-56a0-0240017A-.jpg[/img] I don't know if I can handle this kind of high excitement:D Hers a shot of the business end.. [img]http://a9.cpimg.com/image/81/1C/46997889-5e5d-028001E0-.jpg[/img] Thats a FEnner Fluid Power Electro hydraulic pump setup. Cost me $40 at an auction, but it needed a new release valve and solenoid which cost me $120 from the parts distributor. HAte to ask what a whole pump assembly is new... Next picture shows the wiring hookups. [img]http://a0.cpimg.com/image/82/1C/46997890-21fb-028001E0-.jpg[/img] Black cord on left from under bed goes to a gray junction box. this is the supply from the vehicle battery. Lead from the solenoid on the pump meets up at the other end of the gray box. Got enough cord to swing the boom 180 degrees either way. The Orange wire is my trick way of hooking up the control switches. Got a small box on the mast that has the female end of the extension cord out of it. That is hooked up to the power supply and lift and release solenoids. The rest of the extension cord is used to make a remote switch setup, so I can stand safely away from the lifted item while in motion. The cord plugs into the female end at the mast and in my hand is a box that houses a indak keyswitch so I can turn the power on and off to the self centering three way switch to control the solenoids. When not in use I can just unplug my control cord & box and roll it up & put it inside the toolbox or cab. This thing works like a dream...|)

Man is that thing SWEET or what. You got too much time on your hands now, I gotta find you a committeee to serve on [:0] okay guys, next time I want volunteers, I'll ask that they take a step forward. When I ask, yall take a step back, but dont tell Sam ;);)

Sam that is trick! We've been hauling somewhere around25-35 tractors and riders a day lately between new units and service jobs and that would sure save a guys back on the non-running units we pick up for repair. You did a heck of a job on that rig!

When I think of all the times I've pushed, dragged, and man-handled dead tractors (especially with flat tires) up a ramp, that looks too, too easy... What a sweet rig! People better not leave their tractors parked close to the street in Western Illinois from now on! Talk about "curb-side pickup"! :D

Sam I like the rig!! I could of used that last week when i halped a buddy do a motor swap in a toyota :)

Very nice rig .Would be great for a loaded lawn roller or any other attachment that is to heavy to man handle.

quote:
People better not leave their tractors parked close to the street in Western Illinois from now on! Talk about "curb-side pickup"!
My junker buddy (now deceased) used to use his on town cleanup days for "cubside pick up" of "valuables"..
quote:
Nice setup, but here's my question.....are you sure you have enough spare tires on the truck?
Those are the new radial tires on rims that I got for $200 from a guiy junking ambulances. Problem is I cant get the rusted on lugs off the truck to change them. So I have to wait till I take it in for the brakes to have them deal with it..
quote:
I have to ask Sam.......Did you use a gun at that auction?
Nope. Nobody wanted it I guess. I should kick myself, last sale this spring they had half a dozen more in different conditions. I should have bought them all for spare parts, but didn't . They didn't bring anything either.
quote:
How much can you safely lift? Or do you not want to push it to that point?
Heres a link to Ruger Industries Truck mount crane selection. The one I have is a TM-1. Click on that and you get a pdf download of the 2 page specifacations sheet. [url]http://www.rugerequipment.com/truck_cranes.htm[/url] In the 3rd or longest setting lift rating is 900 lbs. Enough for most any GArden tractor. 2nd setting is at 1100 lbs, 1st setting is at 1200 lbs and with extension removed its rated at 2000 lbs. I need to atttach some trailer jacks some how to the rear sides of the truck to stabilize the platform while swingig the loads to the sides. Problem is with clearing the drop down sides. Thinking on a bracket bolted to each side to hang down with a brace to the inner frame rail on the bed behind it. Have to give it some more thought.

That really works well. Go pat yourself on the back, that's a job well done. I know you put many hours into it. It's nice to see the finished product.

quote:
I need to atttach some trailer jacks some how to the rear sides of the truck to stabilize the platform while swingig the loads to the sides. Problem is with clearing the drop down sides. Thinking on a bracket bolted to each side to hang down with a brace to the inner frame rail on the bed behind it. Have to give it some more thought.
The cost is a little more, but you might want to consider electric trailer jacks. That would solve the probelm of needing clearance fro the cranks around, through, or behind your drop down sides. Manual jacks at the front corners of the bed might even give you the stability your looking for. Its hard to see what you have there for a trailer hitch frame, but a third idea might be: Add a receiver to either end of the hitch frame, and attach your jack to an insert. The insert could bring the jack out past the dropdown tailgate, and the jack would be removable with one hitch pin. Since you likely only need the stabilization on the side you are working, you could also get away with only one jack, moving it to the side you are working at the time. Another thought is scissors type trailer stabilizers. mounted at the rear corners, you could reach the handles through the mesh of your gates. You'd have to carry some blocking for these though, unless you mounted them fairly low. I think 12" to 18" of travel is about the limit for those. They are used quite extensively for stabilizers on the rear of tall 5th wheel campers. Better yet, mounted at a 45* angle, the handle would go in the gap between the side and rear gates. Just a couple thoughts to get you mind started. ;):D

Nice rig Sam, I was following your post in the Shop Talk forum. How many hours do you think you have in it? Good thing I don't have something like it, I'd really be in trouble. GregB

That turned out great!! When you started this project did you have any idea how much fun it would be to use?

Watch out Sam when hanging a load on an incline. It'll get away from you quick. Is the yellow handle a swing brake? Looks good.

Great looking setup,Sam.Looks like that rig could pick up just about anything you need it to.

How nice can you make it. Sure seems to handle your every need well. Looks good too. A couple of magnetic door signs. SmilinSam's Garden Tractor Removal Repair. What do you think!

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Watch out Sam when hanging a load on an incline. It'll get away from you quick. Is the yellow handle a swing brake? Looks good.
Yep, thats a swing brake. This thing has all the bells and whistles..
quote:
How many hours do you think you have in it?
I really don't know. Maybe I don't want to know. But its been fun and time flies when you are having fun.