Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B12 flywheel pulley

Chris727

I have been been working on getting the recently acquired b12 back together this weekend. The pulley for the S/G belt that attaches to the flywheel is currently and aluminum one like what is used on many of the later engines on those running board tractors. Wasn't there supposed to be a hydrolift pulley on the 12hp tractors? All of my other FDT's have a multi-peice steel S/G belt pulley on the flywheel. Is the aluminum one wrong for this tractor? The guy had things pretty messed up, pulley was loose and crooked because one of the bolts had backed off. When the engine was rebuilt someone had put a washer under the flywheel nut so the pulley was not able to tighten down all the way. To top it off he had two different size spacers on the bolts that connect the driveshaft to the engine and the two washers that go on the engine side of the fiber disc were gone. Should I plan on getting a hydrolift pulley and steel S/G belt pulley to make this thing right? Thanks. Chris

Chris, As I remember the 12hp tractors had the aluminum S/G drive, booster fan pulley. I believe it was only the older units that had the cast pulley. Like the 7.25 and maybe the 9 hp. I know my 10hp had the aluminum booster fan, pulley. I have worn a couple of them out and the S/G belt would slip because the sides were worn and the belt ran in the bottom of the groove and was essentially a flat belt. Al Eden

You can use an aluminium booster fan with no problem. Also, you don't have to have a hydro lift pulley on the engine to work, just the right combination of spacers and loosen the coupling on the BGB so it will slide a little. Then retighten after you have everything bolted up through the hole in the bottom of the frame. The small pulley only takes the place of 1 set of spacers.

Thanks guys. Dave, I kind of thought the hydro pulley was probably the thickness of one spacer since my B110 and a 2210 used two spacers. Got it all put together and will try it out. I did use the aluminum pulley but had to get some different spacers, I used the ones that go between the front pto pulleys on a an older broadmoor. Probably when I rebuld the motor in the fall I'll put a steel pulley on it that came off of a 2210 parts machine. Also I hadn't noticed the hole in the frame and was pulling the shift plate off to loosen the coupling. Thanks for the tips. Chris