Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tilling traction

Tom Deutsch

I'm about to use my D/A 917H's tiller for the first time, turning a small section of my lawn into a garden, and I need some advice! I'm wondering how to set up my tractor so I don't get stuck and have all my neighbors with their Home Despot Troy Bilt MTD tillers laughing at me. I have two sets of tires -- one is a narrow set of ags off an ancient Montgomery Ward walk-behind. I'm afraid these narrow things might just dig me in up to the axle once I till a few inches deep. The other are the standard no-lug turfs. I'm afraid these might just want to spin once the dirt gets loose. I also have a set of 50# wheel weights. So, without having to buy anything new, which would you choose? And should I use the weights? Will I have any steering? Thanks. I'm glad I joined the club -- you all have been very helpful for this new tractor owner.

I've never had any issues with traction using my tiller, even after driving over areas tilled as deep as the tiller will go. The motion of the tiller tines will naturally propel you along, so slipping or skidding forward should be more of a concern, especially if this is virgin sod and somewhat hard and/or compacted with grass, roots, etc. As far as weights, I use none and have no steering issues either. I use a 36" tiller on the back of a 7018 simplicity with 10.5 inch wide tires, so our setups should be very similar. DaveM

I've never had problems with traction either. I've had more bolt away and at my family... rule I use "never let anyone stand in front of the tractor". I use turf tires, no chains (unless I was lazy). The tiller will be your drive. The only problem, which supposedly you shouldn't do, is going backwards might take more power or traction. I am not recommending it, but I like the results when taking the machine backwards. BTW: I tried the Brinly disc (one section), it was terrible. I've just got to dig my tiller out of the shed.

I have used my AC712 with a 36" tiller for the first time this spring. The rotation of the tiller actually pushes you along. If the ground is really tough, you want to go over it more than once to get the depth of till you are looking for. If I hold my breaks on, the tiller just digs down as far as it can reach, about 8" and made almost dust out of the soil. Love it!!!!:D Dan

Unless it is pure mud the tiller will act as one big steel wheel and push you out of anything. Drive into your garden drop the tiller all the way on the lift, it will dig itself in and will bounce(just think if that steel wheel just spun how much things would bounce) if the ground is hard or hits rocks. If it bounces too much for your liking pull up on the lift until it stops. One a second pass if you have more bouncing problems check for rocks or such underground.

The only problem that I have had while tilling my garden is the lack of directional control ie; lack of traction on the front tires. I run a 2210 with the wide front wheels and although I have wheel weights on the front wheels I find that the tiller in conjunction with the ag's will easily push the front tires. I'm sure a little more weight on the front and a set of tri-ribs on a set of narrow rims would cure this but it's not a major problem for me and with the longer wheelbase of of the 917 it might not be a problem for you either. Have at it! :p:D

I have 12" turf's on my tractor, and I just leave the winter chains and weights on untill I'm done tilling. A couple of the gardens I do are pretty wet.

You should'nt have any problems with the turf tires.I bought my 7016 and tiller from an older gent and he used it with turf tires for years.My only suggestion would be is to spray your grass with round-up first.No need to fight grass and weeds.I moved our garden to a different spot this year and sprayed it, then waited a week to turn over and till.

If it hasn't been plowed, hang on when you drop the tiller!! I tilled today with the Broadmoor, ground I turned over last fall and once early this spring. A couple of time I didn't get the tiller raised before I hit the grass. Man did that thing scoot!! It will be rough cutting through the grass. Take your time, you might have to go over it a few times.

I've never hurt for traction when tilling with turf tires. The only problem I've had is getting enough traction while trying to turn, but that's easy to deal with.

Note: Only till in straight lines >> especially in new ground that is not loosened up. I have had to weld up a neighbors broken tiller that broke the attachment arms. It broke when he turned while the tiller was in the ground and working.

Not a thing to add to whats already been said, just glad we are starting to tiller rather than talking about snow. And we did'nt have any this year to speeck of.