Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
georgia-boy

Starter ?

georgia-boy
The starter gear (the gear that mates to the flywheel gear) does not return to the not engage position when I’m trying to crank my tractor (AC 916H). I can turn the engine crankshaft in the opposite direction and it will return to the correct position. I try to start the engine again and go through the same thing. The starter motor run good, it seems to be a problem with the part that engages the flywheel gear. This is on a rebuilt K341 I’m trying to crank for the first time. Thanks Charles

dirtsaver
Charles it may be that the shaft the starter gear rides on has a buildup of dirt and gum on it. A lot of times you can spray the shaft with a non-sticky lubricant like garage door lube to clean it and make the gear slide smoother. It may not completely cure the problem but it will gain you more time before you have to spend the money to replace it.

georgia-boy
Thanks for the replies, Marty and JJ, I’m sure you are correct. But when it doesn’t start and I hit the starter again (with the key) the starter motor spins without spinning the bendix gear. The gear is still extended to the end of the starter shaft and has not returned to the rest position. Also thanks Larry for your advice; I have sprayed the starter shaft with WD40. Thanks Charles

maxtorman1234
Usually with a good charged battery, and an oiled starter shaft it should work properly. Once it starts it will retract. It can be finicky to get started if it's not set up right. Sounds like you need to check points/valves maybe.

Al
Hi, These bendix gears on the Kohler starters have a slip clutch inside them. There is rubber piece and the outer part of the drive is crimped over the outside and the inside bears against the hub. When they get bad, they will slip. You can check them by holding the nut on the end of the armature. Take a Channel Lock and grip the gear and turn it. You should be able to turn it, but it should have quite a bit of resistance. Failures are much more common on the KT twins than the singles. We have had to replace a number of them through the years because they didn't transmit the torque. The purpose of these is to absorb the shock load on energizing, and to keep from breaking the armature shaft on a backfire. Al Eden

WiscTom
Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, that can indicate a broken starter. The dead one on the bench here exhibited just those symptoms. In this case, a couple of the leaves in the armature assembly hit something, and displaced enough to jam up the works. Prior to replacement, It seemed to spin freely on the bench, but it would not be able to engage the flywheel and rotate under load. Disassembly of the starter revealed the obvious fault. Here, replacement of the entire starter was the solution. Good Luck