Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Denny

govenor adjustment

RayS
Hi denny, I have this saved in my computer from a post that Al Eden replied to. Posted in an earlier post by AL: Hi, The way they teach it at the Briggs school, Forget about clockwise or counter clockwise. [Assuming the correct carb] Just take the governor arm and move it in the direction that opens the carb wide open. Holding the arm so the carb is wide open, loosen the bolt on the arm and turn the governor shaft in the same direction the arm rotated when opening the carb. When the shaft hits the stop, tighten the bolt while the carb is wide open. Same with Kohler. Much simpler than trying to remember cw or ccw. Remember the governor weights must be held in when the carb is wide open and then they work against the spring to control the speed. Also if the engine is hunting, to determine if it is the carb or the governor, turn in the idle stop screw and hold the carb shaft against the idle stop. If the engine idles OK, then run the stop screw in more and hold it against the stop. If it runs good at mid speed with the throttle shaft fixed it is a governor problem. If the engine is erratic with the throttle shaft fixed, it is a carb problem. Personally I just hold the shaft by hand, but in school they teach using the screw for a stop. Good luck, Al Eden There are probably hundereds of pages to this topic alone if you check the search at the top of the page.