Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Watch for snakes!

Ryan

Was out digging some parts out of some bushes the other day and got nailed by a copperhead on my left fore arm. Spent about 4 hours in the hospital to get treated. Alot of swelling, bruising, pain in the joints and muscles of my arm. Be careful!

UGH..i hate snakes...had ALOT of them at our old place..havent seen one here in the 2 yrs weve been here...they make me say things i dont normally say...I think theyre pure evil.

No poisonous snakes here. Rattlers are so rare here they are even protected. Still I don't like even the garter snakes and we have lots of those. I picked up a tarp last spring and there was a nest of them. Hundreds of them slithering away right over my feet.

I finally decided to pull the curtains off my snow cab this afternoon and had it parked outside the shop for about an hour. Jumped right in and shut the door to pull it inside, and there were about a dozen yellow jackets in there with me. Non too happy with my intrusion either. You never seen a crippled up old man move so fast in all your life. But they ain't a copperhead. Hope you get healed up real soon Ryan!!

I got bit in South Eastern Ohio. We do not have very many of these in Northern Ohio so I was not watching for them. I learned my lesson though. Found the part I needed too! Take care and be careful!

quote:
Originally posted by lndscpr
No poisonous snakes here. Rattlers are so rare here they are even protected. Still I don't like even the garter snakes and we have lots of those. I picked up a tarp last spring and there was a nest of them. Hundreds of them slithering away right over my feet.
John, just because you havent seen a rattler, does not mean there not here! Last year I ran into one right up the road for you in Foxboro!!! Scared the heck out of me. Elon

The Eastern Diamondback is the largest of the rattle snakes although not the most poisonist. Rattle snakes, CopperHeads and Cotton Mouths have live babies, along with Gardner Snakes. Pretty neat.

Elon, you were lucky to see one. I have been hiking the woods here for years and never seen one. They are uncommon enough to not give them a second thougth here. There is a good population of them in the blue hills within sight of the Boston skyline. Somebody got bit in the western part of the state last fall and it made big news. Still uncomon enough to not worry here. I should not have stated "no poisonous snakes here" they are pretty neat.

I know there are rodent eating snakes and then there are poisonous snakes. I'm not afraid of them but I still think the only good snake is one thats now in 2 pieces.

Lots of rattle snakes in the west central part of WI, along the rivers in the rocky bluffs...Thats about all for poisonous snakes here...Lots of fox snakes also (pine snakes) resemble diamond back rattlers, but not at all dangerous...just long and ugly..

Was in southern Indiana helping out some friends with clearing an over grown field where the owner had put a pond when I heard Benny hollerin, I GOT ONE CORNERED!!!! Well, everyone ran over to where he was bush-hoggin to see a coiled up copperhead on a boulder. There was lead flying in every direction and every one missed the target. I was pruning back some saplings with pruning shears and still had them in my hands....when the smoke from the pistols had cleared I just walked up and lopped it's head off and laughed. It was about a 2 foot Copperhead and my pruning shears were 4 feet long. All the while Benny was trying to get close enough to make puree out of it with the bushhog. Fortunately the 3 point fell about 2 feet shy of getting high enough to shear the blades off of it with the boulder he was trying to attack. Later that same day he threw a shear bolt and we later found the half blade firmly imbedded in a sycamore. Glad that blade didnt let go while he was bouncing off that boulder. May have been imbedded in the old Zippo himself.

Copperheads love the warmth of my compost piles. I'm forever turning them out of one. And I HATE snakes. Copperheads are pissy when you disturb them. Chicken snakes like the piles also. But my reflexes are usually too quick, and I end up figuring what it was after it's in two pieces, as Dave says...LOL Every snake in Texas is poisonous, so it's better to ground check them... ;). Two relatives got bit last year, so I've seen first hand what you're going thru Ryan. Get better soon. I know it hurts!

You guys forgot about the most common snake of them all, it's native to all parts of the country, once you deal with one you usually try to avoid them. Their attack can be very bad and they can even grow over 6',they come in different shades of color, you never know when one will pop up or where it will come out of. Does anyone know what type of snake this is ?????????????? It's the two legged snake, just thought you might enjoy a little humor.

They are on the prowl, heck we killed one at school last week. The eastern diamondbacks are common around here.

snakes are numerous here in north Louisiana and like Billy Jack says we have plenty of poisenous ones as well as the chicken snakes and grass snakes. and then we have the dreaded alligator to contend with. I'm talking about in the city limits of town. It is not uncommon for someone to lose their pet labordor if they live on the Bayou because the dogs are bread to love the water and a 100 lb dog is no match for a 300-400 lb hungry gator.

originally posted by lndscpr
quote:
Somebody got bit in the western part of the state last fall and it made big news.
John this was in the town(city?) of Westfield. That's right at the very western end of my section of the 'pike. While I've been fortunate enough not to see one a lot of the guy's I work with really dislike snakes! Go figure. I have run into tons of the harmless garter snakes though. We also have some rather large water snakes here by the lake. My wife looked out the window one day and asked what's the big stick on the deck? Well as it turns out it was a 5' water snake good thing she didn't go kick it. I guess it's possible to run into a water moccasin out here too. Hey Ryan take care of that arm! ;)

Yikes we have a few copperheads around here But mostly water snakes and garders. To tell you the truth I haven't seen a snake in our yard in about 10 years. I did a lot of work on our stonewall in the woods and never saw one, and frankly I don't care too.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Snake talk sure makes living in Alaska sound good, gotta go to a pet shop too see one in this country.
So, you haven't seen any of those very deadly white "snow snakes" up there, Marty? ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
So, you haven't seen any of those very deadly white "snow snakes" up there, Marty? ;)
Several (many) years ago we would take several trips each winter to northern Michigan to ride snowmobiles. Before going into the wilderness of the gerat white north the guys aways made sure we had am emergency pack with extra spark plugs, a spare drive belt, and a bottle of snow snake medicine. Seems the best snow snake medicine came from Lynchburg Tennessee ;)

Only snow snakes I ever seen up here Kent were in the bottom of a bottle of Hosesa, Thank God it's been over 20 years since I've seen one of them.

With all the snake haters posting here, I felt I HAD to say something. I'm not wild about snakes, nor do I have any desire to keep one as a pet. However, I find them indispensable for controlling rodents and pests on my vineyard. The behavior of snakes is very predictable and it is easy to modify your own behaviors and your own living space to prevent unexpected and undesirable encounters. A little education takes less effort than a killing spree.

I do not kill snakes. I would much rather have a snake around than to have rats! I was not use to the area and was not paying attention.