Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sleeve Hitch Lift Rod Q

Boney

Thnx to a club member I have been able to get a Murry Sleeve Hitch. My Question is How long should the "lift rod" be. I ask this for two reasons. 1- I dont know how long the original is. 2- The Murry hitch will stick out further from the tractor than the original hitch. Doing this will change the geometry "leverage" of the lift rod. With this in mind should I make the lift rod longer ? If longer has anyone made one longer and what were the results? Thnx for any help. Herm

I think I would start by making the lift tube and the Murray hitch both parallel with the ground and fit a rod between them that way. If you are making your own rod, a threaded end would be nice so that you could have at least a couple inches of adjustment. You can also use two flat plates (one on each side) with a series of holes drilled through them. When you figure out the length you need, cut off the extra length. Many ways of doing this. Since the Murray hitch isn't stock, you may not get an exact answer, and still the answer may depend on the implement you are using at the time. Just my guess, since I usually make these type of items by trial and error (lots of error-called experience). You may want to give Roy a PM, since he recently posted a picture of his tractor with a Murray hitch.

Put it together and see how it works before you do anything. You may just find that it works fine without having todo anything....

Boney, My Murray sleeve hitch will pick up at least 350 pounds. It lifted my son-in-law while he stood on it. Let me know if you want the picture of mine.