Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Exactly how many bearings are there...

Nick

May sound like a stupid question to some but exactly how many bearings are there in a 42" Deck that would be mounted on an FDT tractor? Need to order some and was wondering how many to order before I take her apart.

Nick, I think that is 3 arbors with two bearings per arbor = 6 bearings. I put new bearings in a 48 deck last summer and bought them from Simplicity. Think the cost was just under $50 for the bearings only. I was told that most of the decks use the same bearings. In fact when I asked for the bearings at the counter, the lady just turned and reached her hand into a box and counted out 6. She didn't even look up the number. They fit and worked fine.

Nick, I agree with what Rod says. I am also in the process of replacing bearings on a 42" deck and the Simplicity parts dealers have told me the same bearings are still used today. Part number should be 108202 at about $8.00 each. One thing I have noticed is that some of the Arbor Tubes have 6 mounting holes, and others only 3, and some do not have grease fittings. Now, if I could just get the darn arbors apart, I would be in good shape. Mike

Mike, Just takes a lot of force. 20 ton press usually does it. That is what my friend has. He has done quite a bit of this, since he does equipment maintenance for several people who cut lawns commercially.

I just purchased 6 bearings from my dealer last week, $8.10 each. Has anyone bought the bearings on Ebay, about $25.00 with shipping for 6? I'm not impressed with the quality of Chinese bearings and dought they would last very long. The Simplicity bearing are good quality Fafnir sealed bearings, the ones in my deck have lasted over 35 years and are just getting noisy now.

Thanks guys. I am going to order 6 of them, part # 108202. They are $7.29 each from sepw.com. Now I got to figure what else I need to order.

Another spot for low cost import bearings is http://www.vxb.com/ they sell direct, as well as on ebay. Some of the more popular sizes are under a buck apiece.