Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pull-start 7 hp

Simplicity314

Hi--I posted recently about a '67 briggs 7 hp pull-start on a broadmoor that had no spark. Well, it turned out to be the coil. I now have spark, but I think I now have a fuel/carb problem. After about a dozen pulls, I only got it to stumble a little bit, then it quit. Another dozen pulls and nothing. Fuel is getting to the carb. Tried choke on and off, full throttle, 1/2, played with carb screws also, etc. I did rebuild the carb and replace the float (yes, it's level). Most of the gasket was dissolved/ rotted away. Two gaskets came with the carb kit and It's possible I used the wrong one. Would an incorrect gasket cause it not to start at all? Doesn't seem to be any air leaks anywhere. I'm at a loss. It is an updraft, "3-screw" "old style" type carb. I'm confident I put it together correctly--I've rebuilt these before for my landlord and had no problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. --jim

Al had a post a while back saying it is possible to put wrong asket on and block a hole that will not allow it to start properly

Hmmm...the one I put on had an extra hole in it and it seemed to line up with a hole in the top half of the carb body, but there is space between the two holes because of the way the body is cast. Thanks Ron. I'll see if anyone else has any guesses and if not I'll try and swap out the gaskets. --jim

It could be the gasket,When you rebuild it did you make sure all th ehole on the inside was clear?May want to check the float and needle if it is sticking it wont let gas in.Just something else to check.Tony

Well, went out to try to start it again and the same thing, except I got it to stumble a little longer than a few pops. Then, all of a sudden, gas starts dripping. Not bad, but enough. Anyway, I did make sure all passages were clear--blew carb cleaner through and compressed air. I'm going to take it apart and make sure the needle is seating properly. I'm trying to get this thing ready for the Colchester show!

Thanks John. Yes, should be a nice machine when done. Aside from getting it running, all I see missing (besides the seat, of course) is the brake drum. It's not *that* important on a b'moor though, given its top speed! Tomorrow (hopefully, if I have time) I'm going to get the carb apart and post pics of the carb body and the two gaskets, and have the experts weigh in on which one belongs on the carb. That should do it, unless I find a float/needle/seat issue.

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
It's not *that* important on a b'moor though, given its top speed!
Isn't that why you drag your feet??;):D

A parking brake would be nice though. My back yard is sloped. I have had to chase my b10 a few times. A rock for under the wheel is not always handy.