Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 hp Briggs Starter Pulley / Fan Runout

B.Ikard

Hello All, Was getting my 16 hp Briggs together today and noticed a "warp" in the aluminum flywheel pulley/fan at the notch where you would anchor a rope for pull starting. When rotating by hand I would guess runout close to 1/16-1/8" for about a 2" arc. There are no pry marks or hammer marks, or owner inflicted damage so I am assuming it warped somehow? or left the factory this way. Not noticeable when running at all and no vibration. I didn't have the starter generator installed so I have no idea what effect it would have on a belt. I must have electroinc ignition on this engine because it will fire the plug with the points wire disconnected?? Coil looked normal with no magnetron module so go figure. Has anybody else noticed excessive runout on these starter pulleys and should I be concerned ? Thanks, Ike

That is an cast aluminum part and should not bend or warp at all. CAb you actually see the wobble when the engine is at idle?

Bob, Not noticeable at idle....in fact I doubt I would have noticed anything at all had the pulley not been dragging on the fan shroud. Re adjusted shroud on engine and the drag stopped....then I noticed runout. I took the pulley off and looked closely for damage-no marring, pry marks, etc. Looks in perfect condition. I will probably see about getting another one-it just does not seem right and I don't want to have belt problems. Just checked and these pulleys are $91.00 at Jacks small engine so I suppose I will live with it ! Ike

quote:
Originally posted by B.Ikard
Bob, Not noticeable at idle....in fact I doubt I would have noticed anything at all had the pulley not been dragging on the fan shroud. Re adjusted shroud on engine and the drag stopped....then I noticed runout.
I've noticed the same on a couple of the flywheel pulleys on my old Broadmoors. Doesn't seem to cause any belt problems.

Greg, Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.....some of them have a little wobble but it is not a problem. Talking about Broadmoors I would not mind having a later 728-738 or one of those System 5010? tractors... Very little Simplicity/Allis in GA TN and AL that I have seen, particularly the older models. NC seems to have a lot of them though Ike

Brent, If you're ever up this way, stop in. We just might find you a Broadmoor on this little half acre. ;)