Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

homelite experts

plastikosmd

Well I finally joined, and I have my first question. One of my Allis b12 machines has a repower with a briggs engine "made for homelite." Short of taking off the head to figure out the engine size I am lost. I can find no id marks on the side of the engine, where briggs usually writes their 6 digit number. It seems to be an original red color, the original homelite stickers, and stellate ? exhaust valve info stickers, are not repainted over. There is an on/off switch on top of engine, a black dial (unlike my other 12 hp briggs) and the front PTO is a tapered shaft, not straight with key like the other 12 hp. As far as size it is similar in external size to the 12 hp, both are bigger than the b 10 engine that I have. Let me know if you have any thoughts. Machine runs great, just curious what I have. Thank you! scott

The on off switch at top indicates its a 80's or newer engine. The numbers on that should be on top of the shroud somewhere near the cover plate that goes out over the head. If its a tapered shaft it probably came off a trash pump or Generator...

There is a cover plate over head, unlike the other engine, has hole for plug etc. Does not seem to be any markings, it is possible that it is on the left side of engine near SG. There is an additional SG bracket bolted to top of engine that allows for belt tension adjustment. This flat bracket may be covering the numbers if they are on top of the engine. Will try pulling bracket off later and looking underneath. Interesting info on engine age and possible use prior to putting it in the tractor. I am new to this hobby, engine is dead-ringer for the other tractor engines and was not even considering other sources for the replant. Will let you know if info is under plate. scott

Numbers wouldn't be on the plate over the head. They would be on the shroud itself on the flat right before you come to the cover plate over the head. There and the side of the shroud where they usually are are the only two places I'm awre of where to look.

On the 1989 replacement engine that's in the Big Ten I just sold, the numbers are stamped in the sheet metal on top, and were hidden by the bracket where you adjust belt tension on the S/G belt... I'd pull it off and look. It also had the "on/off" switch built into the top sheetmetal, on the opposite side of the sparkplug from the S/G bracket and model/serial numbers.

I think I am gonna have to just live with it! Checked under bracket and seached inch by inch. Over whole shroud (at least that I could see while in tractor,) Well it runs great, and even in 3rd will drag my 7k pickup up and down the road like it is not there (rolling friction). Out of curiousity what does the on-off go to? As you know it is quite far from any points/condenser as in the older engine. Thank you! Hopefully will have more updated pics soon on my site. I have 2 b12's, one that has been around new england a bit, both reed and daddycat owned at one point. Has a simplicity rear on it, and now an L10 loader. That is a story in itself involving such drama as a a bent pump shaft that snapped on hookup. Luckly I have a pretty well stocked shop and was able to make a new one in short order. The other machine (the one with the transplant) is pictured on my site under projects, page. It has both front and rear lights (2 each, one of the rears has a cobbled replament lens though) and a rear red light, Is wired but isnt quite working yet as all the wiring needed some cleaning after sitting for a while, only have the fronts working. Also has a horn! Somehow I dont think that is original, ignition is like your car with a turn-key, and I think the ignition button is wired to the horn, still have to trace and clean that also. Finally has a switch with elet. hookup in front of tractor, dunno what that was for, maybe some sort of lift. Anyway thanks for the great site, maybe I will drag these hulks to a show so you can see it in person! Site www.plastikosmd.com hopefully will update a bit today and get both machines up. Thanks guys scott

O yea, one more interesting thing about the B12 with the transplant. If you go to my site you will see it in it's original condition, had aggs on it with weights. Of course once I placed the loader on the other tractor the only thing missing was the wheel spacers so the brackets would clear the wheels. Happened to be pulling the ag tires off off of the other tractor to get it ready for mowing this spring (first time ever) and what did I find behind the ag tires? SPACERS, original factory spacers. Looks like previous owner wanted to run these tires but did not want a wide footprint so put on spacers then reversed tires so offset of rim was backwards and tires faced into tractor. Now have aggs and spacers on the tractor with loader and a deck and turf tires on my original. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good... scott

sure but the cat may take exception! you guys have inspired me to add the other tractor and loader pics into site, will be doing that now, should be up around 3pm scott

The on off is just a Kill swtitch between the mag and ground at the block. Turning it to off just grounds the ignition and kills the engine. This is a educated guess, but it would either be a 10 HP or a 16hp if its a cast iron bore IC replacement. Those are the only two HP versions I ve ever seen for the 80's / early 90's replacements of that block design. Only way to know would be to pull the head and measure the bore. Unless there are carb differences...Don't know though..

Thanks sam, I'm guessing 16hp (or hoping!) Tractor is very strong, I have never driven a 10hp version but it feels stronger than the b12. However, from what you have told me this is a much newer engine and that may be a factor. Anway, I did upload new pics of old machine and the loader tractor. Thanks for all your help! scott