Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rebuilt carb..........what a mess

wheelie

I got a kit and rebuilt the carb on my Big 10 that I had just bought last week. The reasion I rebuilt it is if I left the gas on fuel would poor out of the bottom of the carb (only when tractor was shut off) I re-built it and now feul poors out the bottom of the carb when the tractor is running or shut off. What did I do wrong or how can I fix? Thanks

I may be wrong, but kinda sounds like you need to adjust the float level?? And check that the needle is seating ok. Joe

Did you adjust the float properly? the needle that hangs off the float is a shut off valve. If it is not level, the needle will not seat and gas will pour out. Also, if the carb body is warped it may also cause that to happen. I would open it up and recheck the float. Also shake the float and make sure there are no holes in it. If there are holes it will fill up with gas. Hoe it works---at least I'll solve someone else's carb problem!

I would say recheck the float and make sure there is no hole in the float and check the needle and seat make sure there is no trash in it.And make sure they are seating right.You can do this by letting gas run threw it and push up on the float with the needle in place and see if it shuts the fuel off.If it does and the float is good and set right put it back together and try it again.I have had to do this before.And make sure there is no trask in the bowl or gas tank or line too.Just my 2 cents Tony

One human hair is all that it takes between the needle and seat ( Less really ) to cause such a leak. When flooding is a problem, It is my thinking that you waste time and money to rebuild a carb and not change fuel lines and filters. Rust and junk from the tank will just keep on causing you troubles. And a filter alone many times is not enough because just like the inside of a carb gunks up after a while, the inside of your fuel lines can do the same. 5 bucks for fuel line and filter is a lot cheeper than going through a carb the second time IMO.. Install new line and filter, pull the carb and blow it out. Make sure the float level is right.. Make sure the float isn't heavy and that you can't hear fuel inside slosh when shaken. This should take care of your trouble. Good luck

If it isn't the float adjustment, then make sure the tube that the main jet screws into is fully seated. That is another way that gas can leak from the fuel bowl into the air intake.

I agree with all of the above. I had to start over with my B110 (Alice) When I got her she ran but was leaking and uncontrolable some times. She would be idling then rev right now. The lower carb body was junk and the throttle shaft worn too. Almost lost the tractor to fire while changing out the old carb for a rebuilt one. Long and short of it the carbs are easy to fix but pay attention to the details. Tractor now has new fuel line, clamps,filter, and a reachable shut off that works. As soon as I get the throttle shaft repaired. All will be well. Use your shut off when ever you stop the tractor and walk away. Things can happen in the blink of an eye.

I agree with Jon. I have a fuel shutoff on every machine I use except cars and trucks. When I'm done the fuel get shut off. If I won't be using the machine for a few weeks, I'll try to run it out of fuel. I'm sure many will disagree with how I winterize. I shut off the fuel while the engine is running and let the engine die due to lack of gasoline. I try to make sure the tank is over half full. I don't use any stabilizer in anything. Come spring, I take 'em out, turn on the fuel, wait a bit and then fire them up. If they don't fire right away, I blow in the tank to get fuel where it needs to be. I let the engine warm up and change the oil. (that is something I should probably do in the fall and might start this fall). I don't take out the batteries, etc, etc.

You might have to replace the needle valve. I had a leak problem that turned out being the tip of the needle had gotten hard and wasn't sealing properly. A new needle and the leak was cured. Also, check that the base of the old needle didn't wear a 'divot' on the float. This will also affect needle sealing and might call for a new float.

I agree with everyone else. You should check the float level. Also, be advised, that rebuilding a carb does not guarantee you are going to solve a leak.:)