Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lawn Sweepping

MPH

Alaskan style

I was just after spruce cones in that last pic, Here I was getting last years leaves and general winter crud up.

this shows the results fairly good

couple of 'all done' shots

The last pic shows what these rodents called voles do to nice thick grass, takes it half the summer to recoup. I may reget playing out there today as the ground is still mostly frozen and in low spots I was sweepping up water, but, I got 4 loads off of it. If it dies, I just happen to have a one bottom plow;)

THANK for for all the great pictures MPH now i've got a question about those voles are they the same rodent that we call moles here in N.C. ? JJ

Don't think they are same JJ, these mouse size rodents don't make any mound of dirt too deaal with, just live off the roots in pathways under the snow.

Looks good Marty. Moles are a bigger problem around here, and so far I've had zero luck controling them. But we do have voles as well.

Moles, Kill what they eat and they'll leave. A couple of good applications of a grub killer may help, works for me. Mike

Marty, been debating on getting a sweeper, but wondered if it would do a "good enough" job. Looks like yours did great. A picture is worth 1000 words. Thanks!

We have both here in VA. Moles do the underground tunnels that make the soft areas in the lawn. Voles ruin the grass with the above ground tunnels and paths that they make through the grass. Voles usually stay in the taller grass and don't venture out in a well trimmed lawn very often. When they do, my cat usually brings me a present. She killed several of each, last summer. She also caught three snakes. Quite a hunter, in my back yard.

Cats will kill anything for fun. They are quite damaging to the local wildlife. They are nice to have around though. Down here in southeastern Ohio the mice do not like peanut butter or cheese. The only way I can catch them in a trap is to soak up some bacon grease with a cotton ball and tie it onto the mouse trap or have a cat in the house. My room mates cat caught over 20 last winter and the traps cought nothing with the peanutbutter and cheese.

Moles eat meat, like earthworms and grubs Voles eat Veggies like the roots of grass and other plants... I have heard of Voles down around Raleigh JJ but never near home ( Morganton ). Ryan, Bacon that is just before being burned is the best rat/mouse bait I have ever found. Set up a safe back stop, Get a good BB gun and have fun ! LOL

That is funny about the BB gun. When I was growing up we us to sit in the hay mow and shoot rats, in the hog pit, with .22 bird shot. They could really jump! The sweeper did a really good job!