Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

unidentified differential pieces

dorise

When I was disassembling the differential (axle) on my Big Ten I found a few pieces of plastic that was about 1/2" wide. Would any of you guys know what it may be called and is it available from a dealer yet? As always "thanks in advance."

If you have the OEM differential then my guess is that what you are looking at is the nylon bearing that is part of the traction control for the early tractors. Those are the ones with the two bolts(identical to wheel bolts) that are torqued to 25 ft-lbs. and press on a pair of nylon plugs which in turn put pressure on that nylon bearing. I believe that starting with the 3300 series the differential internals changed to provide the traction control and the right side hub was also changed. The old hub had the gear pinned to it with roll pins while the new hub-and-gear assembly was one piece. The new one was also longer and had wider bronze(I think)bearings, which in turn required a longer axle shaft. I have posted detailed pics showing the differences and also linked that post many times. Try a search for "axle shaft" "right side hub" or like terms and you should be able to find it...

Also, there is a seal that looks like a fat rubber band that will sometimes get hard over the years. This was a dust seal between the right hub and the differential.

Thanks guys. I believe it must be a dust seal as it was not very thick. I checked out the posts by "thedaddycat" but nothing there seemed to match my pieces. A lot of info tho'. Are these seals still available? If not, how do you guys fix this little jewel?

quote:
Originally posted by dorise
Thanks guys. I believe it must be a dust seal as it was not very thick. I checked out the posts by "thedaddycat" but nothing there seemed to match my pieces. A lot of info tho'. Are these seals still available? If not, how do you guys fix this little jewel?
After looking into the Simplicity tech pubs I guess it could have been as "thedaddycat" said and it could be the nylon bearing. I know the nylon plugs were not there either. I will check into the parts when I can and find out if they are available or a "fix" to the solution would be welcome.