Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pump Problems

swede

I was out playing,I mean working, yesterday tilling up a spot for my wife to plant some wildflower seeds. The area had some old buildings that were full of junk so I figured there would be a bunch of trash there. Instead of beating up the tiller, I first went over it with this contraption I came up with. It is a piece of a cultivator that I hooked to the back. I was amazed at the junk a got out. [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=swede&file=16375"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url] [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=swede&file=16376"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url] After I was done with this, I was on the way back to the garage to hook up the tiller when my fun came to an end. There was an awful noise coming from down between my legs. The hydraulic pump was screaming at me!! As soon as I tried to move it would make that grinding sound or if I tried to raise or lower the 3 point. So I shut it down and towed it in with the Legacy. Afetr some inspection, I noticed it was leaking some fluid but not too much. (I checked the level and it is fine) It makes the noise only when it is trying to move fluid, not in neutral. Has anyone had this problem with their Powermax before? I would assume this means some kind of a pump rebuild. Are there parts still available from the dealer? Thanks in advance, Lars

When was the last time fluid and filter were changed? Use an OEM or Napa, Wix, Baldwin filter not a Fram or ox store special.

I just changed all the fluids this winter and used OEM filters, so I can't blame that. I did try it again after it sat for awhile, but it made the same noise. The best way to describe the sound - I first though an engine shroud had come loose and the flywheel was rubbing on it. The tractor/ 3 point still did move, but the noise was terrible.

Unfortunately it sounds as if you broke something in the rotator group in the motor/pump. I'd certainly take Maynard's advice and try the bleeding process. However, you can seek out a good hydraulic rebuild center in your area and have them rebuild it for you. I would recomend this. Let the people who know this pump fix it. You won't be disapointed.

After doing some investigation, I found the problem. The pump/motor is fine. What I was hearing was the double pulley that drives the pump shaft grinding all it's teeth off. One of the bearings on the clutch/ tensioner assembly was shot so that wore down the shaft, so I suppose it caused the pulley to fail. So when I put a load on the pump, the pulley lost it's grip on the shaft and ground away. The noise transmitted down the shaft so it sounded like it was coming from the pump. Now to see if the parts are still available!!! I guess this is better than a bad pump/motor. (?) Thanks for all your input. Lars

• 2 weeks later...
Swede, I sent you an e-mail in response to your want ad. This post answers most of my questions I had for you. I can re-spline these pulleys.