Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Input shaft repair on bgb

Mike
Has anyone had any long term success repiring a keyway rather than replacing the input shaft? I tried 4 times to fix this picture, thanks in advance to any helpers... haven't posted a pic in a while. [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=mike&file=16380"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url]

msiebern
The name of the file you upload should not contain any dashes or special characters. Rename the file without dashes or underscores and upload it again and it should show properly. For example, the file name was mini-100_5075.JPG. Rename it mini100575.jpg and it should display properly. :)

Take the shaft out and have a new keyway cut 180 degrees from the old one, or have a machine shop build it up and remachine it in its current location. Some shops are equipped with a "spray weld that is used for building up and reapiring shafts. There are some other fixes but without replacing with a new shaft, these are probably your best options.

MadMike
Mike, Good question. I was finishing taking apart the additional mower deck I picked up and noticed the keyway on the Drive Arbor is really messed up, about twice it's normal width. Of course in my situation, I hope a new arbor will be cheaper than machine shop time. I would be interested to hear what works out for you. Good Luck, Mike

rlschoemer
Some Tool & Die or Mold Shops may be able to 'micro weld' the keyway. Have done this in the past on parts the were very hard to buy or replace. Micro welding lays down a very small bead and it is very easy to clean up.

RayS
I bought a inputshaft for my 917 for $41.00 and one for my B 10 for $47.00 this year. You probably will have a hard time finding a machine shop that will fix them cheaper than that. If the keyway is that bad more than likely the woodruff keyway is in the same shape, they also wear bad under the bearing. I haven`t had any luck of being able to reuse a inputshaft once I have taken a BGB apart, but have been able to salvage a few of the cross shafts.

HubbardRA
I have redone shafts by using a die grinder and stacking carborundum cut-off disks, then using that to grind a new keyway at either 90 or 180 degrees, depending on the shaft damage and its overall effect on fit of the parts.