Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S 12HP B112 Help

lucius

Does anyone know if there is a problem with operating this engine (B&S 12hp in a B112) on hills or slopes? Specifically - does this engine have any lubrication problems when operated on hills or slopes while mowing?

Even though it has a non-pressurized lubrication system (most all the old engines of that timeframe did) there is no history that would indicate lubrication problems on hillsides. Just check it regularly and keep it full of oil. The only engines I know of with such a history are the Kohler KT Series 1 2-cylinder engines, which was corrected on the KT Series 2.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Even though it has a non-pressurized lubrication system (most all the old engines of that timeframe did) there is no history that would indicate lubrication problems on hillsides. Just check it regularly and keep it full of oil. The only engines I know of with such a history are the Kohler KT Series 1 2-cylinder engines, which was corrected on the KT Series 2.
As far as I know the problem was corrected by adding a pressurized lube to the series 2 , but the Problem with the series 2 was they had the oil pick up off set in the block rather than in the center. From what I 've seen ( and unfortunately experienced) is if you mow with a Simplicity or AC with one of these engines along a steep grade with the pick up on the high side you end up starving the engine of oil. As to the single Briggs, I've mowed some steep ditches and never had a problem with those or the Kohler Singles. Seems the ones that hold 2 - 2 1/2 qts of oil hold up fairly good on banks. At least thats my experience. Am I suggesting you go out and mow steep banks, NO, thats your call. I'm just telling you what I have experienced. I will note that the banks I mow are steeper than the manufacturers warnings in the manuals, and I bear the risk and responsibility for my actions using my own equipment.

Thanks for the quick response. I live in the foothills in northern california and have been using the B112 to mow the upper pasture area. I have not had any problems in the past but yesterday on the way back from mowing the engine made a "clattering" noise. I shut it down, checked the oil(it was ok and I had just changed it the day before) but I noticed what look like very fine metal particles in the oil. The engine restarted, but only with difficulty. Then it started to clatter again so I shut it down again. It looks like it is time for an overhaul, but if this difficulty was brought on by mowing on the hills I don't want to make the same mistake again. As far as I know the engine has never been overhauled previously and has always run great.Thanks again for the quick response.

Keep in mind I mow side to side on the banks. Never mowed up and down. On the KT twins the Simplicity tractors bite the dust mowing side to side. The Wheel Horse s using the same engines bit the duts mowing up and dow, as the engine are set in the tractor lengthwise. I"m not sure where thoe oil would lay in the block with the singles mowing up and down slopes. Depend on whether or not the dipper and crank would be out of the oil or not at any point.

Thanks Sam. I mow side to side and up and down. Never had any indication of problems before. It just may be that after 40+ years of use the engine got tired. The tractor is in great shape so I'm going to pull the engine and have it rebuilt by a B&S certified shop. Thanks again for your help.

From what few times I have been inside the singles, I would guess that up and down the slopes would be the problem with them. The dippers on both the B/S and Kohler engines run basically in the center of the oilpan. The dipper should pick up oil even when tilted to the side. It is, however, possible, when going up and down a steep slope, to have a time when the dipper is barely or not even in the oil. This will damage an engine very quickly, especially if the engine is under heavy load at the time. My opinion only, use as you wish.

...And never, never restart an engine with anything in the oil that shouldn't be there. It can turn a minor broken gear teeth job into a completely ruined engine.

So it sounds like "up or down a hill under a (mowing) load" could be a major problem with this type of engine.

I mowed with a 3212v (12 hp BS), for years. My entire 2.2 acres is a hill. I find it hard to find a level place to park to check the oil;-}. Ive been here 10+ years and have had the 3212 for about 7 of those years. I was going through an engine a year on the aluminum briggs.

I don't think you'll ever have a problem with the old cast iron briggs because of mowing hills, sideways or up and down. I mow one bank, mainly down because up it is steep enough to run the carb out of gas. [:0] Never had an oil problem. I also mow the same hill sideways. That is, on the rare occasions when the ground is just right to get to the top. ;) Down, it is still steep enough to slide both rear tires with the rear locked posi, and wheel weights. Needless to say, I bet it is way past manufacturers recommendations and well beyond my recommendation as well. B) I would say, more than likely your engine just decided to show its age. (By the way, mine is a B12, or 12 hp of the same vintage as yours)

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813 Needless to say, I bet it is way past manufacturers recommendations and well beyond my recommendation as well. B)
You mean the manufacturers would frown on me hanging my butt over the side of the fender with one hand steering and the other hand pushing against the side of the seat to keep myself upright ?[:0]B)8

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813 Needless to say, I bet it is way past manufacturers recommendations and well beyond my recommendation as well. B)
You mean the manufacturers would frown on me hanging my butt over the side of the fender with one hand steering and the other hand pushing against the side of the seat to keep myself upright ?[:0]B)8
I thought that I was the only one that did that kind of stuff...[:0];):D

quote:
Originally posted by MDB
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
quote:
I thought that I was the only one that did that kind of stuff...[:0];):D
Boy was I wrong! }:) I thought it was only me that did that. I have a steep grade here on the side of the house that I mow that you are able to climb up it at idle.

Thanks guys! I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one who mows with the "butt on the fender" technique! I was a bit nervous about saying anything about that. The nearest "big city" is Sacramento. I'm looking to find a competent B&S repair shop, and I'm thinking that the shops that advertise "commercial B&S engine repair" may be best. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks again, Lucius

So now are the "foot draggers" also known as "butt hangers"???? BTW I have dragged feet and hung Butt on both FDT and RBT. JH

This one is steep enough to occasionally leave tire prints on the seat of my jeans, and I've even been known to rest my hand on the mower deck to hold myself up :D:D:D

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
This one is steep enough to occasionally leave tire prints on the seat of my jeans, and I've even been known to rest my hand on the mower deck to hold myself up :D:D:D
I can see it now.... Club President slips and cuts his arm off under the mower deck, jerks back, gets his pants tangled up in the wheel, loses balance and tractor rolls over and over down the hill repeatedly crushing what life was left in him out of him plus having the toe rests on those Footdraggers puncturing his body with each roll. Jaws of life have to be used to extract the body from the mangled wreckage at the bottom of the hill....xx(

Sang to the tune of "wreck of the old 97" ....He died in the wreck with his foot on the ...dragginnn. Oh well music was never my forte'. jh