Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dav

Hydro filling

dav
I was looking at my wife's 2110 Landlord the other day and realized that the hydro is a different unit than on my Big Ten. It looks like a plug at the fill spot whereas mine has a screw on cap about the size you'd find on a square gallon can of paint thinner. Hers is accessable but mine isn't. I think I read a post a long while back that said the shaft where the handle would have been was different on factory installed units. Mine has the longer shaft which makes me think a p/o installed the hydro. I have never been able to get the belt(new) to tighten enough or to stay tight on the Big Ten. And it is almost impossible to get at the cap to add fluid. So my question is: Were there different side covers/dashes for the factory hydros? (it's one piece on the Big Ten).

RayS
The dashes were the same between factory installed and field installed. The B10 has no side cover for the hydraulic lift. The 2110 has a side cover that is about half the size as the tractors that are not hydraulic lift.

Kent
Also, there were two versions of the hydraulic lift. The older style has the screw on cap while the newer style has a screw-in plug. As Ray stated, there was no difference in the side covers for the older tractors. For the "square hoods", Simplicity 2110 or Allis B-110 and later, they used a smaller, shorter side cover to make it more acessible. It sounds like each of you have the correct "vintage" lift system to match your tractor. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b_attachments_images/lift_cutaway.jpg[/img]

JJ MARSHALL
quote:
Originally posted by toad270
Yes there was this is the other shape [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/toad270/b.JPG[/img]
THANK TODD i was think that i had had one that was round the one i have now is shaped like the gas tanks on the old A/C but not as big. JJ

Kent
The square tank with a screw-on filler cap is the earlier version, while the round tank with a screw-in filler plug is the later version. Going from the long cross-shaft sticking out on the picture of that early B-10, it appears that someone has added the later version hydraulic lift to it at some later point in time. It is not "factory" and it is not of the "correct vintage", being the later version.... The round tanks were used in about 1968 - 1970 timeframes....