Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Questions about a 725

MikeG

This is the 725 I got this past weekend. I've been looking for a 700 or a 725 for quite awile. Its in pretty good shape but hasn't been run for a couple of years, it was stored in a barn. I know the deck is a newer one and the steering wheel is like the one on my 2210. Where all the seats and steering wheels originally white? I thought that some of the 725's had the longer steering shafts. What was the model number for this tractor, the data plate is unreadable except for the serial number which is 16495.

I also got a wagon with the deal, but it is missing the tailgate. Does anyone have a picture of the tailgate, I want to duplicate it as close as possible. Thanks for any help.

Looks great for an older machine. I'm sorry I can't help you on the tractor ?? but there was someone who was talking about tailgates a few weeks ago. Do a search and you should find it.

Nice find, both the tractor and the cart! Kirk should be able to help with the questions on the tractor.

MikeG, I've got a 725 with the original farm tractor pan seat and it has a white wheel. I'll look at the length of the shaft. I am wondering if the steering mechanisms were replaced on mine as the wheels on the front look different. I didn't realize there was a bracket for the front light like you have shown. I'll need to look through a box of parts to see if I have one of those. Nice looking machine!

Hmmmm........ From just a quick look at the pics it's either a 61 or 62 Model 725. I'll have to make some assumptions but I'll explain as best I can why I think it's more likely an earlier tractor. For one thing, the short steering shaft and two piece seat date it as 61/62. The 63 had the long shaft and pan seat. The remote choke lever and bent shifter are also correct for the 725. The square ended gas tank is commonly found on the 700 WB and 700 models, so this one may be one of the earlier ones from 61 or had the tank swapped out. I believe all three of my 725's have the rounded end tanks. Glass bowl fuel filter is good, no pics of left side but I think it won't have the cut out to remove the points cover. No pulley guard on the right fender covering the rope cup would again tend to be a sign of an earlier tractor. You are correct in that the seat and steering wheel should both be white. If the tranny is original it should have the short axle tube that just clears the tranny case on the left side. My guess as to Mfg. No. is 990232..... http://www.simpletractors.com/made_when/1957-1964.htm http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1962/s_725.htm Look at the differences between the 62 and 63 tractors.... http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1962/s_725.htm

Mike you should have told me you were looking for a 700 or 725.I have a wonderboy 700 that I am thinking about selling 2 is plenty.Are you in a rush for the tail gate ? If not I can make 1 up for you as I have a orinigal and can use it for a pattern. I have made a couple and they did turn out OK.I will be going down near you soon for a meeting for the club and I could bring it along.

Kirk, Thanks for all the info, I remember you posting alot of that information before but I could't find it. You were right about everything but my tractor has a cutout for the points cover. I was also thinking that it was an early 725 but wasn't absolutly sure. Now I have to get it running. Again thanks for the info and I will be sure to ask if I have anymore questions.

Did the 1962 have a headlight? I couldn't tell by the angle of the 62 picture Kirk posted. The 63 definately had the headlight, and Mike has the bracket on his machine. Just an observation. --Jim

Now, I am confused... I looked at the link below which Kirk posted and it says my Landlord was made in 1963, but on the Simplicity pages it reads "new in 1964"; so which is the 9hp Landlord, a 63 or 64? http://www.simpletractors.com/made_when/1957-1964.htm

The 9 hp is a 64. It was probably manufactured in 1963 and released in 64. The 63 was a 7-1/2 hp.

Fine looking tractor! IMO the 725 is a must-have, classic, quintessencial piece. Now your life is closer to complete! Can you fit it in your bedroom?

quote:
Originally posted by MikeG
Gee Andy, the bedroom! Hey wait, it just might go with the rustic country look the wife likes.
Don't know if I could get away with a real tractor, but I managed to convince my wife to put this in the kitchen:D

Elon

Mike Oh, I forgot... Classic though it is, the women always seem more appreciative if you leave the Simp dump cart in the garage. But, then it's ready faster when you haul it down to Starbuck's Coffee... to give Harley chicks rides. :D

Ok, tractors as bedroom and kitchen decorating accessories I could go along with, but, as for trolling for chicks at Starbuck's, I don't think Starbuck women go for Harleys or Simplicity tractors with or without dump carts, they problably go for BMW's. Of course I really have no idea because there isn't a Starbucks with 50 miles.

well I see a Starbuck's picture is in order here. When the weather warms, I'll catch the Harley line-up, in front of Starbucks for you!

....Andy's Andy's Andy's............... I can see MDB and I are going to have to talk about this over morning coffee !!! LOL ken

Truely a nice score Mike. If for some reason beyond my control I had to reduce my tractor numbers, my 725 would be the last to go.