Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro Fluid

JCS

My 716H has been jerky last summer and the first mowing this year so I decided to check the fluid and I can see it down at the very bottom of the pipe. Since I dont know the prior history should I change the fluid & filter or just add? Also decided to check my Moms 914H and it was up to the top and RED! Then decided to check neighbors 7119H (after I asked) and it was 1/2 down the pipe and looked like MOTOR OIL!

I would change the oil and filter if it were mine. Buy either a simplicity filter or a quality filter like NAPA, Wix or a Baldwin. Avoid the cheaper filters. I had this same problem and a filter and oil change solved the problem.

I can tell you changing the oil and filter DOES help jerkiness and also those hydros that have random variable speed without moving the lever and those that run away on you without warning. I'd just go to the dealer and get a new filter and Simplicity multi-purpose hydraulic oil. Going from memory, the book on your tractor says to fill the filter up with hydro fluid before installing then install. Then pull up the vent up on the left side of the hydro and fill until the fill tube is full and replace cap. Then push the valves down under the seat and run the tractor for about 5 minutes the pull the vent again and re-fill the until the fill tube is full. Replace cap again. Release the valves under the seat and away you go. Brent

HI, Changing the fluid and filter is a good idea. Simplicity has 3 filters for these tractors. One that was used on the tractors with the filter up between the frame, one a short one that mounted on the left side of the gearcase and a third one to replace the short one on the side mount. The hydros got a change in the charge pump in the later tractors and the transmissions were noisy. The fix was to change the filter. A new longer, higher volume filter was used and it quieted the trannys down. We only stock the old mid mt filter and the late side mount filter. We ONLY use Genuine Simplicity filters. For the price of a couple of beers is it worth it. I guess I should have said a couple of bottles of water, it is more than beer. I was going to say be sure all of the linkage is well lubed and the cam roller is clean and free of dirt and well lubed. This is the most common cause of jerky erratic action. Al Eden

Roy, You beat me to it. I complained for quite a while about my 716H and how hard it jerked when I put it in gear. I drove it for quite a while by using the clutch, because of the jerkiness when using the stick. I finally checked the six BGB bolts where the side plates bolt on. One bolt was missing and all others were loose. Replaced the missing bolt and tightened the others. Very smooth operation with the stick after tightening the bolts. I only use the clutch in very tight places now. Most of the time, I use the stick to drive it.

Does it matter if I use the DEXTRON fluid the owners manual calls for or the SIMPLICITY Multi-Purpose stuff? This is a Model 718 if it makes a difference.

guys After reading this post brent i think said somthing that seemed to be true for (late production sovereign)my tractor. It seems that if i am (or have at least selected high speed)which is not that fast compared to my 3112h the new Sovereign seems to take time from the point I push the hydro control full forward to the time that it builds up steam. The other thing that i noticed is that when i am going along up a hill say, I can feel the tractor get more speed if i move the hydro lift lever. The tractor is only 2years old, but was new old stock and was sitting for a few years. The tractor has always seemed to have this problem, have any of you folks had this problem. I am thinking about doing a fluid and filter change.